Prince Fielder contract talks

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Millz, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

John Heyman from SI reported a few days ago that Boras views the contracts of Joe Mauer and Mark Teixeria as a 'starting point' for talks for Fielder, and that he's going to put Fielder in the 200M club. Joe Mauer? Really?

Does Boras have ANY clue that a 1.000 OPS, gold glove CATCHER has a TON more value than a 1.000 OPS mediocre fielding first baseman? Prince may be one of the top 3-4 first basemen currently in the league.

Mauer's the best catcher of his generation, and is heading towards maybe being an absolute all time great.

As much as Prince brings to the table, there's no comparison between him and Mauer. Using Mauer's salary as a jump off point is plain ridiculous.

See ya in New York, Prince.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't believe that Prince deserves the same amount as Mauer, because I think Mauer is arguably the best player in the Major Leagues. But I do believe he deserves a big contract. Fielder is probably a top ten player in this league, he's one of the better home run hitters in the Majors and he drives in a lot of runs. He's also still very young and he hasn't hit his prime yet.

3. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

It's hard for me to imagine Prince getting that kind of pay anywhere.

Sure he can hit, but is that enough? Some guys that are just power hitters can still get along well in other aspects (fielding, running, etc.). When I think of Prince, I think chubby and sloowwwww.

4. Kratzenkov16

Kratzenkov16 Registered Member

fielder is a DH at best...

i dont see the yankees going for him...

someone will give him big money but illl be lower then 150mil

5. SqueakScolari

SqueakScolari Registered Member

The Brewers should have moved Fielder last season before this whole contract thing became a big issue. I think they will end up moving him at the deadline if they dont find themselves in contention but they wont get compensated as well. The money Fielder will get is going to be ridiculous and he does not deserve anywhere near what Boras wants to give him. Sure he has tons of power but if you look at the market, power hitters are not getting great value right now and that is all Fielder is, although he is one of the better ones in the game.