pride: deadly and destructive

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
Pride:
Many Christians have wrongly concluded that sexual sins are the worst kind of sin. But that is not true. Sexual sins are not the worst kind of sins. C.S. Lewis has cought this fact very accurately. In a paragraph from his book {Mere Christianity} (New York: Macmillan, 1986), Lewis says:

If anyone thinks that Christians regard unchastity as the supreme vice, he is quite wrong. The sins of the flesh are bad, but they are the least bad of all sins. All the worst pleasures are purely spiritual. The pleasure of putting other people in the wrong, of bossing and patronizing and spoiling sport, and backbitting, the pleasures of power, of hatred. For there are two things inside me competing with the human self which I must try to become; they are the animal self, and the diabolical self; and the diabolical self is the worst of the two. That is why a cold, self-righteous prig, who goes regularly to church may be far nearer to hell than a prostitute. But, of course, it's better to be neither.

(Copy/paste from an e-mail I received.)

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Eh. I can agree to that. Physical stuff is just physical. It's the most apparent but weakest 'sin', I'd say.

I'm just glad we aren't able to carry out some of the things our minds concoct when we're emotional. The world would be gone in a few seconds if what happens in people's minds were a reality.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
In all do respect, niether is correct. No one should have sex for cash. Also, no one should have be an dunky as you'd like to put it.
Why is prostitution so bad? If it's unregulated, yeah it can be bad. But what if we adopted a system like France where people are actually required to stay healthy and whatnot? Is your problem with it solely because of your faith or do you have another reason to dislike it?

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
Eh. I can agree to that. Physical stuff is just physical. It's the most apparent but weakest 'sin', I'd say.

I'm just glad we aren't able to carry out some of the things our minds concoct when we're emotional. The world would be gone in a few seconds if what happens in people's minds were a reality.
I'll agree with you on that.
------
Why is prostitution so bad? If it's unregulated, yeah it can be bad. But what if we adopted a system like France where people are actually required to stay healthy and whatnot? Is your problem with it solely because of your faith or do you have another reason to dislike it?
My believes are 90 plus precent of the reason I feel the way I do towards prostitution. My other reason vary.

Last edited:

soot

Registered Member
"Worst" in what way?

I would think that prostitution which isn't mitigated by "destitution, blackmail, or social pressure" would be just as damaging to the soul, just as mortal, as any other mortal sin.

At least I believe that's the way the Church looks on it.

Once you move into the realm of mortal sin you can't have a situation where one is worse than the other. Unrepentant behavior that destroys a life of grace is consequence for eternal damnation. Period.

Behavior that destroys a life of grace once repented is forgiven - regardless of whether it's pride or prostitution.

Seems to me that the operative concept in so far as "sin" is concerned is repentance. If you don't repent you're doomed, if you do repent you're forgiven and the slate is wiped clean.

Arguing the semantics of "which is worse" seems silly.

Whether you take a train to hell or a bus to hell the destination is the same regardless of the mode of transport, as it were.

Not that I believe in sin, but if were going to attempt a logical discussion about an illogical subject we should at least stick to the rues of the game such as they are.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Good words. But I fell this must be added. Sin is sin. All of it is worthy of death.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert (certainly not as knowledgeable as Lewis was), but take a look at this. In the END the "level" of the sin won't matter. But let's get this backed up with some scripture.

The old testament.

Take Leviticus 20:10
'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

Not all sins would be punishable by death.

The new testament.

However, today, all sins are punishable by eternal death/separation from God. Thanks to Jesus, we can ALL go to heaven if we repent.

Whether God sees sin at certain levels or not is completely irrelevant (with regards to eternity). He sees it just as it is, as sin. Any sin is worthy of eternal punishment.

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Notice it does not specify what type of sin.

I have sinned, you have sinned, we all deserve death. It is by the grace of God that we are saved

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God

That is why a cold, self-righteous prig, who goes regularly to church may be far nearer to hell than a prostitute. But, of course, it's better to be neither.

(Copy/paste from an e-mail I received.)
So true, but regardless of the "level" of the sin, in the end it comes down to this. Is Christ Jesus your LORD and SAVIOR or is he not. That is how a "church-going" man can be just as close to hell as the most sinful person you can think of.

Last edited:

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
So you're already born with a one-way ticket to hell and only believing that Jesus is our savior etc. etc. can save us? That's kind of harsh, no? Sins would be graduated (kind of like certain taxes), if I was God. Some sins definitely aren't as bad as others. Lying and murder aren't on the same scale at all. Automatic death and eternal punishment is rather rash. :(

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Good words. But I fell this must be added. Sin is sin. All of it is worthy of death.
So . . . if I walk up to my fence and peer into my neighbor's yard and see his new pool and think to myself, "Damn, I wish I had a pool like that," I should die? Please clarify this for me.

("Coveting thy neighbor's goods" for those who missed it)