• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Price of video games...

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wasn't sure what to call this thread.

Video games go for about $60 these days. How many hours do you think you need to play to make spending that money worth it?

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't really ever pay full price for games anymore. $60 for a game is a lot of money, so unless it's a game that I absolutely have to have right away, which is literally never anymore, then I'm fine with waiting months or even years for prices to drop.

Console games are just ridiculously expensive. Even after several years, the lowest the prices get is usually around $20-30. That's why I've been playing more games on PC the last few years. Games go on sale pretty often and I usually get the games I want for $10-15, or sometimes even less than $5.

Anyway, to answer the question about price vs play time, if I get about two hours out of every dollar I spend, then I feel like I'm getting a pretty good value.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
It definitely turns me off to buying a new system, that's for sure. I mean I have the money but I struggle justifying paying that much for video games. I just don't have that much time for it anymore either.

thealigator

Registered Member
I bought The Division this week for my PS4 I didn't pay full price for it but paid 38 pounds for it, roughly that is around 56 dollars according to google and I would consider this to be a reasonable price, I think around 40 pounds is what I would expect to pay. I have just done a search for the upcoming COD game, to buy the legacy version it will cost around 69 pounds which is about 100 dollars. I am not sure I will part with that amount of money.

As for getting my moneys worth I know I have got my moneys worth out of things like GTA V (though I ending up spending money online to buy credit cards and given that I bought it on both my Xbox360 and PS4 and bought credit cards on both I would hate to think what it actually cost me), I also know I got my moneys worth out of GTA San Andreas and Just Cause 2.

Twitch

Registered Member
If I play a full price game more than a dozen times, a few hours a session, I think the price was worth it. But like others have said, I try to avoid getting games for full price, trying to buy used or utilize the deals on Xbox Live.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I don't need a set amount of hours to justify a full priced purchase. I just want to be entertained. I want to be wowed. If that takes 2 hours or 30 hours, it doesn't matter to me.

Gone Home is a great example of that. It takes only a few hours to beat and costs $20. I would've gladly paid $60. The experience was that amazing.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't need a set amount of hours to justify a full priced purchase. I just want to be entertained. I want to be wowed. If that takes 2 hours or 30 hours, it doesn't matter to me.

Gone Home is a great example of that. It takes only a few hours to beat and costs $20. I would've gladly paid $60. The experience was that amazing.
I hope it's better than sex if you're willing to pay $20-30 or more per hour of entertainment on a video game. Haha.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I've paid more per hour of entertainment at a sporting event and had less fun. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to spend your money on.