• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

preventing your dog from breaking out of the cage

tradtke

Registered Member
I challenge you to figure out a way to hold our dog in a metal cage. He has pulled apart spring loaded latches while inside the cage. He has opened clips that hold the door shut. We strap a bungy cord around the outside and somehow he shredded it while inside the cage. I'm talking about the industrial strengh black ones. When he could not get the door open out he pulled it in. When we pad locked the cage he broke the entire front of the cage open. So far he broke half a canine tooth and chiped a couple others. Not to mention cuts on his nose that have since healed. Now we keep him in a plastic crate that he has not been able to open, but I have never seen such an animal. No, he is not a pitbull, not any type of large dog. He is a weimaraner. A larger dog, but by no means like a rot, or a shepard. How he does it, we don't know.

Twitch

Registered Member
Have you thought about putting a muzzle on your dog while he in the cage? That would stop him from biting at anything.

Saffy

Registered Member
Does he need to be in a cage. Is he destructive if left out of the cage?
Im In England and we dont really do the cage thing here,, i think SOME are starting to do it lately, otherwise the only time we use them is to transport.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'd focus less on trying to keep him in a cage and more on finding ways to keep his mind occupied. He sounds like a very smart dog, and I bet if you spent several hours a week doing training exercises with him, he wouldn't try to break out of his cage. Most dogs won't want to break out of their cage because it's their safe place, their den. If your dog wants out, it sounds like he's not getting enough mental stimulation to want to have some down time in his den.