• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Pressured by parents into extracurricular activities

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
..::This thread idea has been brought to you by the wonderful brain of Bliss::..

In grade 8, my mom got this bright idea that us kids were gonna take 4-H. I wasn't interested in the least, but my mom wouldn't let up and basically signed me up against my will. Thankfully there was a carpentry thing and so I would go every week to this guys place and just do carpentry. That was my 4-H. I only did it the one year, as my mom got the hint that I didn't wanna do it haha.

What about yourselves? Is there anything your parents forced or coerced you into doing that you didn't really wanna do? Maybe they made you learn to play an instrument, take dance lessons, join a sports team etc etc. Lets hear it.

Merricles

Registered Member
My mom never forced (or even encouraged me) to play sports or join any clubs. I don't fault her for that exactly, and I'm not going to get on my 'childhood' soap box. I am going to encourage my kids to join extracurricular activities though.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
My parents want me to go and study abroad, especially for a Masters Degree. My mom is pushing me to go to the UK and study in one of the best Universities over there.
The problem is that I don't feel like studying again in this period of my life. I want to work a bit more and relax at the same time. I'm waiting for a masters degree in my country but I'm not thinking to get another degree abroad. At least, that's not happening anytime soon in my opinion.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
My Mum never forced me into doing anything at all. She let me do what I want. I said I liked art when I was young so she got me into art classes, when I was older I showed interest in archery so she helped me join my archery club. She never forced anything on me, but she did help me greatly and encourage me in the areas I was already interested in.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
My Dad's side has a big basketball history and he wanted to keep it going and they forced me to play basketball for four years. The unhappiest years of my life.

Manored

Registered Member
When I was 4-5 years there were mandatory flute classes in my school, and so I was forced to learn it despite not being interested. In the next year they ceased to be mandatory and luckly my mother decided to not force me to continue on them, so I didnt =)

My Dad's side has a big basketball history and he wanted to keep it going and they forced me to play basketball for four years. The unhappiest years of my life.
Eh, thats sucks. Why did he force you to play a sport you didnt like that much?

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
When I was 4-5 years there were mandatory flute classes in my school, and so I was forced to learn it despite not being interested. In the next year they ceased to be mandatory and luckly my mother decided to not force me to continue on them, so I didnt =)

Eh, thats sucks. Why did he force you to play a sport you didnt like that much?
Like I said, the side of my dad's family has a basketball history.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I dont get it though =)

Well, I suppose you probaly dont, either.
What's not to get? He said that his dad's side had a rich history of Basketball, obviously the father would want his son to continue the tradition and play Basketball. and obviously son doesn't want to let father down so he plays even though he hates it. It's not un-common, things like Aleks case happens all the time.

Last edited:

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Didn't get forced, did a moderate amount of stuff (lit mag, golf, newspaper).