Presidential Debate # 2

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by ysabel, Oct 7, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

So tonight is the second presidential debate and it seems that the campaign is getting more "bitter".

So who will be watching this debate and what are your expectations? :popcorn:

Race turns bitter as debate looms

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I'll be watching. I wish Ralph Nader could participate. :-/

3. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

I won't be able to watch it....again. Too damn busy.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

yeah baby - Should be more exciting than the last debate.

5. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

After all, we're hear for the presidential candidates.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I'll watch the highlights when they come out online, like they did with the other debates.

7. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

This debate tonight and the rest of the election reminds me of Rock Balboa (Rocky VI). McCain is like Rocky. The old guy, former hero and champion. Been at the game a long time with some wins, some losses. Obama is Mason Dixon, the young guy, often a little too cocky, relatively untested but very talented....
    ...well, I was going to tell how the movie ended, but there may be someone who hasn't seen it and I would hate to spoil it. Good movie.
    Anyway, not meant to be biased, just a fun way to view to 2 candidates. If you've seen the movie, I think you'll agree you can make a parallel between art and life.
    ------
    ====================================================
    EDIT
    I shoulda asked this question a lot sooner. But, since this is a townhall style debate, what is the one question you would ask both candidates if you could?

I know most of their policy, so for me it would be:
    What is your opinion of the two border guards, Ramos and Compean that are serving 10+ years in solitary confinement for shooting at an illegal immigrant that was smuggling drugs into the country and would you consider giving them a pardon?

(If you only get 1 question, you gotta make it a long one)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  8. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I am watching the debate right now. Before the analyst tear it apart I would like to give my opinion thusfar.

It appears Obama came off confident and bulleted his points. He spoke vaguely on some issues but in general did great job of conveying his points. He lost some steam in the end.

McCain did not come off as eloquent, he was a bit more straightforward. However, I think he really didn't impress me. McCain needed a definite win and he didn't get it.

Both candidates spent too much time "correcting" each other as oppose to answering the questions.

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

A good drinking game would have been to take a shot every time McCain says "my friend(s)".

10. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

That's slightly less bizarre than your comparison of Sarah Palin to Ronald Reagan, which smacked heavily of a certain Quayle/Kennedy moment from a certain Vice Presidential debate of some years ago. No offense to you, MIT, but Palin is no Great Communicator and, according to a new poll, doesn't even have the popularity of a Hillary Clinton. At least I can sort of make out a rough justification for the analogy in the case of Balboa/McCain.

I'm glad you brought this up. My question would have been, "Has there been anything that your campaign advisers have suggested, in the way of strategy, to which you found yourself morally opposed?" Their responses could have been quite revealing. I do hope somebody gets that one off in Part III.

That's my bottom line assessment of this round. I scored it, more or less, as a draw (unless you take a point away from McCain for wandering in front of Brokaw's teleprompter, lol) -- and a close showing favors the front runner. I don't predict that this night's activities at Generic U. will have any noticeable effect on the polls.

Not unless you want alcohol poisoning. Dude used that 'faux-ksy' expression no fewer than 22 times in 90 minutes. Does that creepy, repetitious attempt at simulating human warmth actually endear him to anyone, I wonder?

My overall impression of PresDeb II: it's a well-known phenomenon in the latter stages of a political campaign; the candidates both tend to gravitate toward the center (in fact, I created a fake movie poster on that very theme). I saw a lot of that effect tonight; in fact, the similarities between the two seemed to overshadow their differences. Hell, McCain even acknowledged agreement with Obama in two distinct areas!

If I had to fault Obama for something, it would be his comment, "You know, a lot of you remember the tragedy of 9/11 and where you were on that day..." which he used as a preface in answering a participant's question on personal sacrifices that may have to be made during the next administration. (A lot of us, Senator? Try everyone older than twelve.) He's probably lying in bed right now, kicking himself under the sheets for that one.

Conversely, my major gripe with McCain's performance (apart from his lying through his dentures, which I've learned to expect) came when he contemptuously spat out a reference to Obama as "that one." What the hell?! Meowrr! Hating much? The more I see of McCain, the more he plays into my mind's caricature of the bitter old guy in suspenders who won't let kids play on his lawn. "Why, those darn little... Hey! Hey, you punks! Stay off-a my property, all-a ya, or by jingo I'll be callin' the cops next!"

Anyway, I was grateful that we didn't have to hear the word "maverick" beaten into the ground this time around. That was a refreshing change we can believe in, no?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008