President Bush and the rule of law...

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Flyhigher, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Guest

President Bush was elected by the people of America...The American people gave Bush the ability to exercise decision making power, however, our President is still subject to the rule of law...

The rule of law is the principle that governmental authority is legitimately exercised only in accordance with written, " publicly disclosed laws" adopted and enforced in accordance with established procedure...

It is clear that President Bush has broken a number of these laws to see his political agenda through...

To prevent this and protect the American citizens in the future we must change course...
    I think a true Liberal democracy can guarantee the individual liberties of its citizens and prevent the development into a dictatorship...

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Now please tell me what the difference is between this thread and the other "Down-with-Bush-vote-liberal" threads you've made?

All parties are corrupt in some way simply because of human nature. To parade around that one party has all the answers is not only inane and crazy, but unoriginal and incendiary.

3. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Guest

Maybe, but the republican party has really took a dive since the departure of Reagan...
    Reagan was one of the best, no doubt, but the Bushies and their necon advisers are a bunch of crooks...

4. tipsycatlover

tipsycatlover Registered Member

The one question liberals never answer is what do you do with the ones who won't be liberals no matter what you do or how it is imposed.

Is Bush subject to the rule of law. That's a fair question. The other side of that question is whether or not Bush is the subject of the protection of the law? For instance, Bush was absolutely legally entitled to fire 8 federal attorneys. Any employer in his position is protected by law in that kind of decision making. Should Bush also be protected by the same laws that any other company is?

5. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Guest

I don't think any sitting President should be protected from the law especially if he/she breaks it as Bush has done numerous times...
    I am surprised Bush hasn't been impeached, and I think there is still time to see that scenario unfold giving his current approval ratings...

6. tipsycatlover

If you agree that the president is not protected from the law, how about the converse. Should a president enjoy the same protections by the law that anyone else does? If that's true, a president is protected by the same laws that protect the rest of us, then should Bush specifically be protected the same laws that protect the rest of us.

7. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Guest

Ok, if you or I break the law we will be punished for it, right? Unless of course your name is OJ...

8. tipsycatlover

Somehow, there's the distinct impression that you believe on some level that Bush is so evil and so poisonous that he should not be protected by the law at all. Everything he does should be illegal, and if legal, should be considered illegal just because he did it. Which of course is just what I expected.

9. Flyhigher

Flyhigher Guest

I was once a Bush supporter, and I know you find that hard to believe...
    The war in Iraq was never about " Iraqi Freedom" as the American people were led to believe, no, it was always about that liquid substance that lies below the surface...
    I remember the invasion and its name" shock and awe," well I don't think anybody in Iraq feels very much shock and awe...

10. tipsycatlover

If the war is about oil, it has more of my support that Iraqi freedom from a dictator. Where is all that oil anyway? I wish it were about oil. That's something I could get behind.

There was no shock and awe. At the time, it was made public, that was abandoned.

What I hear from Iraqis, and from people I know over there, in the military and not, despite the attacks they have, the overall body count throughout the country is far less than it was under Hussein. Democrats would lke to change that by having us remove our forces immediately. Despite what you may think. I'm for an immediate withdrawal. Even if it makes Pol Pot's killing fields look like a back yard garden. Let Iraq suffer whatever bloody fate awaits it. We need to start preparing for much bigger fish. A fish that sees itself a shark and as our country a wounded and flailing about flounder.