• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Prequels/Sequels that should never of been

Elanor

Registered Member
I love the original Star Wars trilogy, for me, there was no need to make the prequels. They lacked the charm and character of the original films. Revenge of the Sith was the most watchable for me, but still doesn't compare to the originals.

As for sequels, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull! The story really didn't live up to what had come before, Shia leBoeuf was rather irritating, and I didn't buy into the ending.

I am sure there are more that I am not keen on, but for now I forget.

Are there any prequels/sequels that you think aren't worth the money spent on them?

Bliss

Sally Twit
Back to the Future III really disappointed me. I am a huge fan of the first two and felt they should have stopped after that, or thought of a completely new story.

Die hard 4 and 5. Seriously now? The third one was fantastic and I actually prefer that one to the first two. I watched 4 and was really disappointed, so to save myself further disappointment I never bothered with 5.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
A few that have angered me:

Star Wars Episode I - III

I really really hate these films, I understand why they were made, George Lucas wanted to fill his walle..... I mean he wanted to create an artisic film that would answer the questions that we had an audiance.

Die Hard 2, 4 & 5

Die Hard 2 has one goof thing going for it, it made the way for Die Hard three, otherwise it was a terrible stupid badly made film that I do not care in the least about. As for the others well that is for me Willis wanting to cash in on films and reliving his youth which is kind of ironic as went on to make R.E.D.

Beverly Hills Cop 3

One and Two were some of the greatest films of Eddie Murphy's career and but number three was truly awful and truly horrible, there was nothing good about it and no reason for it to exist which takes me nicely onto...

Robocop 3

I cannot begin to tell you how much I hated this film because one of two things would happen: I would start laughing so hard I would not be able to type or I would start crying and have to be removed from under my bed, it is HORRIBLE and how it got made is beyond me.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
The Godfather Part III should've never been made. There was just way too much nepotism there. I mean, I suppose had they gotten Winona Ryder to play Mary, like they had originally planned, it may have worked. But they decided to go for Sophia Coppola. I still can't get over how one actress singlehandedly ruined a perfectly good movie with tons of potential.

The Exorcist II: The Heretic is another one. Fucking awful! A grown up Linda Blair can't act for shit.

dDave

V.I.P.
A few that have angered me:

Star Wars Episode I - III

I really really hate these films, I understand why they were made, George Lucas wanted to fill his walle..... I mean he wanted to create an artisic film that would answer the questions that we had an audiance.

Die Hard 2, 4 & 5

Die Hard 2 has one goof thing going for it, it made the way for Die Hard three, otherwise it was a terrible stupid badly made film that I do not care in the least about. As for the others well that is for me Willis wanting to cash in on films and reliving his youth which is kind of ironic as went on to make R.E.D.
I do agree about Die Hard 2, worthless film. I actually enjoyed the fourth one and haven't seen the fifth one yet. And yeah, the third one is definitely the second best right behind the first one.

As for Star Wars. I know it's popular to hate on these films, but I don't know why they get as much as they do. Yeah, Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen were not good, we can all agree on that. That's pretty much all that was wrong with these films though.

The first one stars Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor and they do a great job, what is there to hate about this movie really? Duel of the Fates is one of the coolest scenes in cinematic history and Darth Maul is one of the coolest villains ever.

The second one still stars Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen takes the spotlight as well, Natalie Portman also got a lot more screen time than she received in the first film.

In the third film we still see a lot of McGregor, Christensen, and Portman. Samuel L. Jackson's role as Mace Windu becomes very important as does Frank Oz's role as Yoda. Every battle in this entire movie is incredibly exciting and the writing was just top notch. Only a few films ever have writing this good. Hayden Christensen was also better (though still not great). We even get to see a bit of James Earl Jones, it's awesome. :)

I think the only problem with Star Wars in general is the Skywalker's curse. George Lucas tried to get Hamill, Lloyd, and Christensen to say their lines in a certain way (why he thought his way was the best is beyond me, it was obviously wrong in many cases).

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I disagree with Godfather III, even though it wasn't the best film made. They could have done a better job and Sofia Coppola did do a bad job but overall the film wasn't too bad. I also disagree with Star Wars. Sure Christensen was horrid but overall those movies explained a lot and were essential to telling the whole story.

I would say Rocky IV-VI were terrible. I and II told a great story about a kid who was given a chance and took advantage of it and became a world champion, and III delved into losing that fighting spirit and regaining it. After that it just got dumb and predictable.

Elanor

Registered Member
For me, if I saw the Star Wars prequels without seeing the originals I probably would of loved them. Ewan McGregor is always brilliant (he was the best thing about all 3 films), and Liam Neeson is pretty much always good. I wouldn't say I hate them, but if they are on TV then I won't choose to watch them. They had a lot to live up to, and people get very protective over the originals, and in their eyes Lucas could never do them justice.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Hangover 2 was pretty bad because it did not follow up straight from the original Hangover, I thought Stu would get with the stripper and that would lead onto their honeymoon in Hangover 2 but that sadly was not the case.

Revenge of The Nerds shouldn't have happened because the first one was a classic, it was brilliant.

Iris

rainbow 11!
Definitely the last indiana jones! just horrible. I had high hopes for it, but it was rubbish. and the hangover 2, come on. give it a rest. the first one was good but now it's just stupid.