• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Prehistoric Flying Reptile Had Massive Teeth

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Discovery News...Paleontologists have identified the world’s largest toothed pterosaur, which probably used its enormous pearly whites to scare off others. The species, Coloborhynchus capito, is also now the world’s largest known toothed pterosaur, with a wingspan up to around 23 feet. A paper describing the prehistoric flying reptile will be published in the April issue of the journal Cretaceous Research. Read More Here
I'm fascinated about prehistoric life and often wonder how they come up with so much from so little. Can you imagine what it would be like to have animals this big flying around over your head. I am glad they aren't around today, I don't think I would like dealing with them. Can you imagine having to wash your car after one of them dive bombed it?:lol:

Wade8813

Registered Member
Interesting. Like most people, I've been fascinated with dinosaurs and other prehistoric reptiles for as long as I can remember.

This is the first time I've heard of teeth being thought of as being specifically for intimidation though.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Man something that big in the air now a days, I think I would just stay indoors and never venture out.
Don't wanna be a late day snack for big bird :lol: .
The sheer size that some of these creatures got to is astounding, and it is all due to a mega oxygen rich environment of that time.

So glad they are not around now a days.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I was surprised to see that the bird has no modern day descendants...as the furthest thing from an expert, their picture estimating the appearance really made me think of sea birds. That may have been just artist's interpretation, I don't know.

I was impressed by the wingspan...32 feet is just hard for me to imagine. Pretty amazing stuff.

Now I admittedly skimmed because I'm just home from work and haven't eaten anything...did the article mention where the fossil was found, and what sort of climates/areas this bird would have lived in?

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
From what I am reading it was found in england and at the time the climate was mostly a tropical one.

Now to look up in the sky and see something that size fly over would be both impressive and scary as hell.