Predictions for '09

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Major, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

The season starts in about two weeks. Make your predictions for national champions, conference champions, or whatever you want to predict.

For the national championship I think there are four teams that are a lot better than anyone else. Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and Florida. I'm going with a repeat of last year, Florida beating Oklahoma in the title game. The Gators return so much talent. Tim Tebow obviously. And I think every single guy on the two-deep on defense is back, and they were one of the top defenses in the country last year.

Not totally sure about USC. They'll have a new starting QB and they lost several players in the first few rounds of the NFL Draft, but they always reload without a problem. They still have a lot of weapons returning, like Joe McKnight and the other five running backs that could start for any team. So many dangerous receivers as well. Damian Williams and Ronald Johnson are going to put up huge numbers.

I think my team, Ohio State, is overrated. They lost Beanie Wells, their top two receivers, and several stars on defense like Malcolm Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, and Marcus Freeman. They have a lot of young talent waiting in the wings, but they're all unproven. Terrelle Pryor will be better than last year, but he's not ready to lead a young team to a championship. I see the Buckeyes finishing second or third in the Big Ten.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I think the Gators are going to beat the Longhorns in the National Championship game.

I believe that Tim Tebow will win the Heisman this season, like i mentioned several times, I think he'll have his best season to date. Not only will he put great numbers throwing the ball but he'll rush for a lot of yards as well.

I'm looking forward to the season again this year, I really hope they show more College games in my area this season.

3. teron

teron Registered Member

:lol:

Harvin and the UF defense was the only thing standing between OU and that championship. The defense is there, but don't act like its not impossible to score points. Ole Miss put up 31 I recall.

Harvin is gone, and I doubt they'll have a gamebreaker of his caliber emerge so soon. They'll be every bit as good as 02' Miami or 05 USC. Basically ESPN will proclaim them to be one of the best if not the best ever then they either drop one during the regular season or lose in the bowl game.

I watched OU handle Tebow and Co pretty well for 3/4 of that game; and their defense wasn't that outstanding. They exposed some serious weakness' in the UF offense including having Tebow pass downfield (2 INT's?)

Don't discount LSU's ability to knock them off either.

McCoy wins the Heisman - should have been that way last year, but hey.

ACC - Virgina Tech
    Big East - WVU
    Pac 10 - USC or Oregon I'm dead split between the two
    Big 10 - tOSU
    SEC - UF
    Big 12 - Texas

Another rematch of OU vs UF is very possible. There's other big possibilites too, i'd say they include Texas, tOSU, Penn State, and LSU even.

Personally I like the sound of a Texas vs OSU title game. I love the longhorns and their fanbase, great group of folk's I consider every bit as equal to OSU fans in their passion, size and attitude.

4. Major

Florida held Oklahoma, the #1 offense in the country, to just 14 points and 360 yards in the title game. Florida put up 480 yards and possessed the ball for 35 minutes.

Unless LSU found a decent quarterback in the off-season, they won't be beating Florida. Gators beat them by 30 last year.

Florida's schedule looks easier than last year. They don't play Ole Miss or Alabama. They get Florida State at home. Their other non-conference games are a joke (Troy, Charleston Southern, Florida International). Their tough road games are at LSU and South Carolina.

5. Major

Your Florida/Texas prediction is looking really good right about now. Not so correct about Tebow though. He isn't really putting up huge numbers this year.

I was wrong about Oklahoma. Injuries really killed their chances.