• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Preapproved Bidders

Julie

Registered Member
I don't know how you add it into your auction, cuz I've never done that end of it. I don't know if it's somewhere in the steps when you're creating the auction, or if you have to do it by going into "Seller Preferences" or "Buyer Requirements". I do know that on the buyer end they have to email the seller thru asking a question on the auction & asked to be allowed to bid. Then you have to place them on your pre-approved list for the auction.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
You add it separately. It's under the seller tools section in your "My eBay" page. There is a section that says "Block or Preapprove Bidders."

You want to preapprove, so click that. You can now enter an item number of yours to make preapproved. Once you do this, you can add userid's that you want to allow to bid. Anybody NOT on this list cannot bid.

The blocked bidders list works the opposite way. Anybody ON that list cannot bid. Generally it just comes down to your individual item and how you want to run the auction.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Andrew said:
.The blocked bidders list works the opposite way. Anybody ON that list cannot bid. Generally it just comes down to your individual item and how you want to run the auction.
... or if you want to be a snobbish ass and block bidders you don't like. I was once posting on the ebay feedback forum boards and I made a post about people who collect a whole bunch of extra money on S&H, only use a small amount of it to actually send the item, and package it horribly, and some people blocked me because they disagreed with me. Luckily, I wasn't bidding on any of their stuff (and if I wanted it, I would have created a new account with my other IP).

But yeah.... people can use that feature very assoholically.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
00vega said:
Luckily, I wasn't bidding on any of their stuff (and if I wanted it, I would have created a new account with my other IP).
Then how did you know you were blocked? eBay doesn't send a notice letting you know so & so has blocked you from bidding on their auction. The only way to find out you can't bid is to go in and try to do just that.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Well I didn't actually know for perfect sure, but the people said they had blocked me. So unless they were lying to try to make me feel excluded or something, I gotta assume that they were telling the truth.

Albey

Registered Member
Ok well i do up the price of the shipping alittle. by a few dollars to clear paypals fees and such? I mean it makes sence, right?

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
well actually, you should price your item accordingly. shipping and handling is just that. the price of shipping and maybe a little bit for handling the item. IE, packing materials and such.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Yeah, the item is what it comes down to. Like I don't mind an extra dollar or two given to them (sellers) for handling if the item is big or cumbersome and requires some manual labor, but if it's a tiny little thing like a video game or phone card, then there's no excuse. So as far as those things are concerned, if you're going to charge a fortune to ship them, then you better damned well explain somewhere in the ad that "shipping pays for cost x, y, z, and a little bit of p, q, T&A, with a little bit of TGIF on the side too" :D

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Technically you can get in trouble for charging more for shipping and making the item cheaper. It's called avoiding fees.

The eBay fees are calculated based on the ITEM price, not the SHIPPING price, so people figure they can hike the shipping price and sell the item for cheaper, hence paying less fees.

You can get kicked off of eBay for doing this though if you are reported. Not worth it if you ask me. You aren't going to get kicked off for charging a few bucks extra, but the ones they look for are the ones that have a $100 item that sells for $50 with $60 shipping, when it should have sold for $100ish and had $10 shipping. The seller would pay a % of $60 in fees instead of $100, so you can see why people do it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marys454BB Money & Investing 1
TGirl Money & Investing 8
MJonesMBA2001 Money & Investing 6