• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Power Tool Brand Name Preferences

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
By power tools I mean things like electric saws, power drills, etc.

My most preferred brand is Makita. My grandfather highly recommends it. And I love the electric drill that my mom has too. So much power and quality. Those things never stop working. My grandfathers battery powered Makita drill is still holding decent charge after 15 years.

Other brands I like are DeWalt, and Black and Decker. I have a Black and Decker rechargeable drill myself, and I love it. And I've used a few DeWalt skilsaws and drills on job sites as well. I've never had an issue with them.

MasterCraft isn't too too bad, it's on the lower end, but one of the better lower ends of quality.

The brand name for Princess Auto, Iron Fist. crap. absolute crap. I bought a set of drill bits one day, cause I needed some in a hurry, and didnt feel like paying lots. The robertson bit ground to a round end on the first screw. Absolute crap.

However, I have gotten a few rare Iron Fist tool that wasn't as horrible. So some times, it depends on which tool of which brand as well.

So lets hear from you guys?

wolfheart

Registered Member
All the power tools we use on the van are from the higher end names, two black and decker angle grinders, 9 inch and 12 inch, 2 Dewalt 18 volt battery hammer drills and 2 from Makita as back ups and then we have a Makita 24 volt battery SDS drill which is great to use on jobs in stairwells as there is no running of power leads.

My boss found that using stuff from the lower end of the market just did not have the life expectancy we need.
Last time he bought a cheaper drill was when one got nicked so he got a cheap one that burnt out in less than a week.

All of the battery operated stuff is used every day all day and really gets some abuse, the lower priced stuff may be OK for light work around the home but that is about all. All the 110 volt gear is either Dewalt or Black and Decker from the SDS drill right up to the Kango Hammer, they are just more reliable.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Yah, when I did hardwood flooring for a couple years, our boss would buy the cheapest stuff. I believe one of the brands was 'king canada'. It was always annoying because the crap would break right away, and the boss would berate us for it. And instead of getting a new one, he'd just jimmy rig something to get it working. It was nice one day though, he was helping us on our jobsite one day and had to use our saw. Nuff said haha, we got a new mastercraft saw the next day. Still not the best, but it was still better than the generic brand.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Its great when a boss moans about cheap stuff breaking then does it himself.

I got to admit that a few years back my boss got a really cheap drill from a market place, I thought he was stupid as it was not even carrying a cheap brand name but that drill was just beautiful to use and became my first choice when grabbing a drill out the van.

Sadly the battery charger was left on a site one day and even after a couple of weeks searching online he could not find a replacement as it had no name.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Yah sometimes you get those rare cheapies that turn out to be the best one. There's this one air grinder at work that I found in some corner of the shop. I cleaned it up, oiled it up, and the thing zings! It works better than any of the new ones, and its gotta be at least 15 years old. I've claimed it as my own to use, and its working great still.

What about air tools? Got a favourite brand for that? Portman compressors from what I understand are pretty good. When I did framing for a summer, my boss had HILTI nailers. They seemed really reliable. Never had issues with em (not counting taking a nail to the knee haha, story for another time lawl.).

wolfheart

Registered Member
We dont use alot of air tools, but the nail gun we have is Hilti, I cant remeber the make of the compressor as we hardly ever use it.
I too have had a nail to the knee from a gun, bloody hurts!.

The only other thing we use on a regular basis is the generator which is made by HONDA, my boss picked it up second hand at a car boot sale about 15 years ago and it works like a dream, plus it runs almost silent which is cool for early mornings.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Oh that's pretty funny actually! The generator we used for framing was also honda. I guess it must be the most reccomended one.