• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"Power to the People" Raw Discussion: 06/20/11

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Make note: Raw will be a 3 hour show again this week!

We'll have a "Taboo Tuesday" type of format, with fans sending in votes to make decisions on matches. Should be a fun show; the only voting format they've mentioned so far is texting. With the charges that usually come with this kind of stuff, I doubt that I'll be voting!

I'm really hoping that the votes aren't to predictable, e.g. picking John Cena, Hornswoggle, or Santino to face R-Truth in the main event. That's over-exaggerated but it happens kind of like that, sometimes!

Regardless of the format, post-PPV shows are always exciting. I'm especially interested in seeing CM Punk; he keeps referring to having plans that will shake the WWE to its very foundation.

Discuss it here!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I prefer these type of shows on Raw and not has a Pay Per View. Tonights show was pretty exciting, we just had Capitol Punishment last night so what feuds are going to boil over from that show.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what kind of matches "the people" will choose tonight.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I prefer these type of shows on Raw and not has a Pay Per View. Tonights show was pretty exciting, we just had Capitol Punishment last night so what feuds are going to boil over from that show.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what kind of matches "the people" will choose tonight.
I agree, Biz. The PPV (Taboo Tuesday or Cyber Sunday) was intriguing but sometimes I think just leave that card to the writers where you know it has something announced in advance that will draw. It's a fun concept, though, and doing it on Raw or SD is more appropriate.
------
From CM Punk's WWE Universe page on facebook:

Last night at Capitol Punishment, I not only defeated Rey Mysterio...I also vowed to perform the most honest act in WWE History. Join me on tonight's Power to the People episode of Monday Night Raw, and witness the genesis of something monumental.

I'm really excited about this!

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm excited to see what he has planned. I really hope it's something that is going to be impactful and going to leave a shock across the WWE universe. Knowing Punk it should be something pretty big, he wouldn't just write that on his Facebook page if he didn't(unless forced by the WWE).

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm excited to see what he has planned. I really hope it's something that is going to be impactful and going to leave a shock across the WWE universe. Knowing Punk it should be something pretty big, he wouldn't just write that on his Facebook page if he didn't(unless forced by the WWE).
Well I'm sure it was the WWE's idea to put the note on the page, they could have even written it themselves and had Punk look it over. You never know. But with Punk I do expect something big; and it fits with the fact that he wasn't satisfied in the company...I'd think they'd want to start a big storyline with one of their best superstars.

Involves Capitol Punishment results:

As I mentioned elsewhere, MitB will be at the Allstate Arena in Chi-town. I think this will lead to a title shot for Punk, but I just really hope that it involves a larger storyline and something intriguing/surprising, vs. him just saying he's going to take the title.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't want to go to off-topic here, but I'm curious to know what you think about this Unity...spoilers from Capitol Punishment

Since MitB is in Chicago do you think the WWE would want him to win? He's already going to get a huge pop(he always gets one in Chicago) but winning it would give him an incredible pop, and I don't know if the WWE would want that since he's a heel at the moment. That's if he doesn't get a title shot, but the question could go for either of these two options.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I don't want to go to off-topic here, but I'm curious to know what you think about this Unity...spoilers from Capitol Punishment

Since MitB is in Chicago do you think the WWE would want him to win? He's already going to get a huge pop(he always gets one in Chicago) but winning it would give him an incredible pop, and I don't know if the WWE would want that since he's a heel at the moment. That's if he doesn't get a title shot, but the question could go for either of these two options.
My gut reaction is that no, the WWE doesn't want him to win. If Millz was around he'd be citing the history of how hometown heroes never win in their home towns, lol. But the more concrete reasons of why it probably won't happen is that (1) Our guesses that ADR will be the SS contender aren't that crazy, and (2) The idea of Cena carrying the title until WM is pretty likely. While I think it's possible that he'd lose it and get it back before, WWE is in one of their usual mid-year holding patterns as far as a lack of title changes. I think having Punk as champion for several months would be refreshing. But if WWE wants Punk to have the title, I don't think that heel pops would deter them.
------
My thoughts on Raw:

Overall, a really good show. A couple of the fans' votes really surprised me and made me happy (especially in choosing Dolph vs. Kofi to be 2 out of 3 falls instead of taking the cop-out, banning Vickie from ringside...also, Mason Ryan vs. Bourne instead of Sin Cara? WTF, but I liked the surprise).

--CM Punk called himself a wrestler in his opening commentary...uh oh! :lol:

--The interaction between Christian, Truth, and The Miz was pretty hilarious...I don't know how they didn't laugh. "Really? Really! Riley! Randy! JIMMY!"

--Kelly Kelly won the divas title...I didn't watch the match closely, but man she looked good doing it! ;) I think the WWE's plan was to have any one of the 3 face divas that the fans had chosen win, so that the rest of the show's voting felt legitimate and powerful...that might not be true, but my gut tells me it sounds right lol.

--Mason Ryan defeated Evan Bourne...kind of a sloppy match on Ryan's part, he still really show's his green side. He shows promise at times, too, but I'm guessing that he didn't think he'd be picked and it kind of showed as they wrestled. HUGE Batista chants during the match, which cracked me up. They need to have Ryan grow his hair out or something, he's too much of a clone. I'm surprised that he got the win over Bourne, b/c the WWE has loved him lately.

--Mark Henry and Kane had an Arm Wrestling contest, which took way too long as the fans chanted "this is stupid!" However, I've really enjoyed the impact that Mark Henry has been making lately. He's just been destroying people...when he sucker punched Kane during the arm wrestling and went on to put him through the table with the World's Strongest Slam, it was definitely cool. He hasn't been doing the "smiling heel" anymore, but he's been showing a great badass attitude.

--Dolph retained against Kofi in the 2 out of 3 falls match. I loved this vote because it showed that fans just wanted good wrestling, and it upped my respect for Kofi/Dolph because you know they're the ones to do that well after so much time from working together. The match was epic on paper, but fell short IMO. The first fall was decided during a commercial...lame...and eventually Dolph DQ'ed himself to retain. It just didn't come across as well on Raw as it could have on a PPV (or on a Raw that was directed well, that commercial thing really bugged me).

--Punk won the #1 contender's spot over Del Rio and Mysterio. Great match, probably match of the night. These guys all worked really well together...really happy that Punk won, and the whole "leaving after the title match and taking the WWE Championship with me" angle is pretty awesome. For some reason I'm guessing that he'll re-sign and that they're playing off of the internet talk. However, it's still possible that Punk is leaving after...he probably won't win either way, but I'm really intrigued.

--Daniel Bryan defeated Cody Rhodes: These guys mix well in the ring, I look forward to seeing the feud continue to develop as MitB approaches. I wouldn't be surprised to see both in the match (vs. being in a singles match against each other), but in the mean time we'll get some good matches.

--A dance competition with Michael Cole vs. Vickie? Really? REALLY? I tweeted that it's funny how a "Power to the People" Raw ignores Zack Ryder, the wrestler that the people have been chanting for for weeks upon weeks....it couldn't be more true in witnessing this B.S.

--Main Event: The main event should have been Punk vs. Mysterio vs. Del Rio, with Punk stating his intentions and Raw going off of the air...but, the WWE had to go its predictable route. The match had a lot of star power, that's good, but it was very predictable in its sequencing of eliminations, etc. Entertaining, though, and it isn't bad to see the two champs raising each other's arm with the titles in the ring. Still, should have been Punk at the end!

Overall, a good show...I'm pissed that Ryder wasn't available as a vote to face, let's say Evan Bourne. The vote would have been overwhelming.
------
A couple of interesting updates from WWE's facebook page, apparently votes were innacurate at times because the server crashed:

Updated: WWE apologizes to the WWE Universe and Raw's "Power to the People" voters. With more than 697,000 votes recorded during Monday's show, the tabulating provider’s overwhelmed system crashed at one point, and reported inaccuracies in several polls.

Updated: The tabulating provider's overloaded system reported several inaccurate results, prompting WWE management to follow WWE.com's Live Chat Poll for the night's final vote.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The show wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

Ziggler/Kofi was good, and the three-way was excellent. Bryan/Rhodes had its moments, and the six-person wasn't horrible, just totally predictable.

If I had to give it a grade, I'd give it a C.

The big problem is, they've gotten so predictable with Raw. The Rock's first appearance in January was the last real memorable moment that I can think of. Ten, twelve years ago, Raw would have a memorable moment every week.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
The show wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

Ziggler/Kofi was good, and the three-way was excellent. Bryan/Rhodes had its moments, and the six-person wasn't horrible, just totally predictable.

If I had to give it a grade, I'd give it a C.

The big problem is, they've gotten so predictable with Raw. The Rock's first appearance in January was the last real memorable moment that I can think of. Ten, twelve years ago, Raw would have a memorable moment every week.
Biz, I'm really curious to hear from you on CM Punk. What do you think of the angle?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it's a work. I don't know if you remember, but they had the same angle going on in ROH when he was threatning to leave the company. I might be wrong though. They don't usually discuss a wrestlers contract on television. I know he said that he might get in trouble for saying that it's almost expired, but I think that's part of the work.

It could be an interesting angle to say the least, if someone can pull it off it's CM Punk(like I said, he's done it before). There's a huge chance the WWE will go to the end with this storyline, meaning they'll have him win the title at Money in the Bank.

I'm definitely interested to see what's going to happen next Monday.