• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Power supply

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Ok... so I got this new computer and I want to upgrade the video card.

I purchased a Geforce 9400 GT 1GB video card. All the minimum system requirements meet my computer specs... except the power supply. The minimum power supply for this card calls for 300Watts and 12 Amps.

My computer only has a 250watt power supply. Would I be correct in assuming if I upgrade my power supply to say a 400watt one, that I won't fry my motherboard and/or overheat my computer?

I want to put this video card in, but I can't due to the power restraints.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I could be wrong but I'm about 99% sure it will not fry your MB. The voltage going to your board shouldn't change from the old Power Source(250watt) to a new Power Source(400watt). I'm pretty sure the max amount of wattage on the Power Source is only an example of the Capacity it would allow for your tower to draw at any given time.

However I would probably recommend upgrading your cooling fans, might be in your best interest while you're making the upgrades to your Computer.

Last edited:

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Far as I know, you could throw a 1,500 watt power supply in without frying anything, though it'd be a waste.

But there should be people here that know better than I do...

Arcadoc

Registered Member
Far as I know, you could throw a 1,500 watt power supply in without frying anything, though it'd be a waste.

But there should be people here that know better than I do...
You are correct. The wattage rating on a power supply simply indicates how much power it is capable of delivering before it fails. The higher the wattage, the stronger the power supply. BTW, Pro2A, if you were to upgrade that GeForce 9400 GT to a 9600 GT, you would then have to upgrade your power supply to a minimum of 450 watts.