Power of Macros

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jayadev, Oct 30, 2006.

1. jayadev

jayadev Registered Member

Many do not give much weightage to EXCEL as a database. Well if properly maintained EXCEL has the power to function like a Desktop Database. Excel has forms support to enter data, it has powerful VBA Macro support to extend the power of automated report generation.

2. Penguin

Penguin Registered Member

Excel is an excellent database; however, I use OpenOffice's Calc instead, because it is FREE. :)

3. jayadev

I tried to use Openoffice, because it is free. In fact not only free it is a very good software. But I was not sure of the macro power, so I am still with MS-Office. I would request you if possible then please check the macro power of Openoffice.

4. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

Macros do not work with OpenOffice.

5. JohnR

JohnR Registered Member

I personally don't like Excel. I never liked it ever since I have worked with it in the 8th grade. I am not sure why I don't... probably because of the teacher who taught it was so boring.

6. Penguin

Penguin Registered Member

I've never really understood the 'pull' of macros, anyway. Even in programs I have that make them available, I don't use them. It seems like more trouble *to* use them, than to just do things as usual.

7. jayadev

I can still remember it all started with Lotus 1-2-3 worksheet on Dos. Openoffice Calc is a very good product, it has changed a lot since it's last release. To be comparable with MS-Office it needs to have some more functinoalities added.