Posting obligation

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
If you reply to a thread, particularly a thread in MD, do you feel obligated to keep checking other replies on the thread, or is it ok to just throw your two cents in and walk away? Or does it depend on the topic?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
If you reply to a thread, particularly a thread in MD, do you feel obligated to keep checking other replies on the thread, or is it ok to just throw your two cents in and walk away? Or does it depend on the topic?
I think you're certainly allowed to just toss in your two cents and leave. However, if you respond to someone, challenge someone, or if someone does the same to you, I think it's only fair you respond. There is no "obligation" however.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I used to tirelessly reply to every response to me, but I'm forcing myself to get out of that habit. In fact, I'm trying to avoid MD completely, but it's like a rash: I know itching it is only going to make it worse, but I just can't help it. So... I think it's good to just post and walk away, if you can manage it.

I always check threads I've posted in if they are serious discussions (which isn't all that often now), but not because I feel obligated to, just because I'm curious to see if people respond. Also, if I've posted my opinion on something it means I'm interested in it and want to know what other people think anyway.

If we're not talking personally here then yeah, I don't think anyone has an obligation to stick around in a thread after giving their opinion if they don't want to.

Last edited:

Bjarki

Registered Member
I used to tirelessly reply to every response to me, but I'm forcing myself to get out of that habit. In fact, I'm trying to avoid MD completely, but it's like a rash: I know itching it is only going to make it worse, but I just can't help it. So... I think it's good to just post and walk away, if you can manage it.
Same here, you have to be wary not to repeat yourself over and over again in discussions.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I very rarely post in MD but if I reply to a topic I am interested in then I'll always read the responses.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
Pretty much what Cons' said, except if I go into an MD debate I always have the courtesy to check any recent replies. If there are no direct replies/challenges to what I have said then I can walk away. With certain topics, though, I may reread the thread and keep up to date with it on the off chance that I feel the need to re-enter it.

But, I've never felt it as an obligation. For example, one particular thread has been sitting there for some time gathering discussion from a few other members. I am pretty certain there are replies there to what I've said, but I also know that when I do get round to it they'll likely be answered, no matter how long it takes for me to reply.

Plus it's my thread, so I'll just be generating more replies, so it's a win-win, really. :thumbsup:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I check replies on all serious threads I post to, especially if I ask someone a question. However, if there are several posts already and no one directly talking to me, I unsubscribe from it if seeing other people's replies don't interest me anymore.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
I pretty much agree with Cons.

If you challenge someones opinion, especially in mature diuscussion, then I think it's only right to return and then justify your reasons or opinion.

If it's just a general thread like favourite colour then all you really can do is chuck your two pennith worth in and clear off.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
no obligation.
i may throw my 2 cents and walk away, though usually i get back to check the replies and reply but i do this not because i feel obligated, but it's just that i want to.