Post Count VS Presence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scissorhands, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Scissorhands

Scissorhands Registered Member

I know that I have a very low post count even compared to some users that are relevantly new and simply post a lot. But in my olden days when I was more active all around the site I think to have had a pretty good presence above my low post count.

What do you think makes you more of an established member? High post count or a strong presence around the site. (Ex:Chat, Poker, and posts that stand out.)

2. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

I have no idea!?

I never thought about my post counts, the way I post or what makes me an established member or not......I just post. But, now that you have me thinking about it, I suppose (to me) it would be the number of years you've been on a forum would make you an established member, not your post count or the way you present yourself in a forum.

I could be wrong?

3. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Obviously, the post count is not as important as other things like the quality of posts or the way you get along with the members.

But the high post count shows your activity which is important but can't be above the other things I mentioned above.
    You can spam the whole day and still be hated by everyone here. What's the point in that?

4. Scissorhands

Scissorhands Registered Member

Storm, I was here for about 7 months before I even broke 20 posts! Time seems irrelevant to me!

5. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

there can be members who come back from time to time even if they've been here from 2000, yet they have only 100 posts and are not a big deal as members.
    It's the presence that makes their comeback respectful, rather than the years.

6. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I think high post count shows activity, which shows presence. But just because someone has a low post count doesn't mean they lack presence. For a while I used to barely post 30 times a month, mainly spending my time in subtalk and chat. Yet I was here every day for a few hours.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I think it's a mix of everything, post count, the length of time you've been on the forums, how you interact with people, how you get your message across while posting.

To me it's not just one thing, it's the whole package that makes me notice a member.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It's presence in the site and doing stuff that makes people remember you (hopefully for the good reasons). I think high postcount is just a consequence of that presence (except for activities that don't increase your post).

9. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

It's probably a mixture. For instance, Steg made a good impression on members this month...but since it was mostly in Mature Discussion, I didn't see it. I did enjoy his posts in subtalk.

If someone were to hang out in chat, I'd probably see them more than someone who posts....but not everyone hangs out in chat, so the opposite may be true of someone else.

I think it's a good mix of both.

10. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

yeah, I can definitely see where the both of you are coming from now that you mention it...

But, with that said, I suppose your presence wouldn't necessarily matter if you're a crap poster and everyone on the forum dislikes you...

:dunno: