Possibly buying a laptop

Turbo

Registered Member
OK, my friend has my old laptop cause her ex was supposed to fix it for me. memory and other issues it had, they split and she still has it for safe keeping.

that laptop is at least 6-years old and probably isn't worth fixing, so i've been laptop hunting.

my dad saw this on a shopping channel so i went to HP to get a better idea...this one looks good on a price level and technologically for my disability.

HP Official Store — Buy an HP Pavilion tx2 and tx2z series notebook PC from HP

once i add whayever i'd want in it, it would run about $1360.

thoughts??

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
It doesn't seem like all that great of a laptop unless you're really into touch screens. The specs on the thing aren't all that great for the price.

If you're into touch screens then go for it, it's definitely not a bad deal.

One downside that I'd be looking at is the small screen.

If I were the one buying a laptop I'd get an HP yeah, but it'd be way cheaper for the same specs since it wouldn't have a touch screen and the screen would be 15" minimum.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Would you use the touchscreen feature? If not then you should look at something else because you're definitely paying extra for that.

Also, if you decide to go with that then you should check eBay. You can probably find it for a few hundred less in either new or like new condition, with a factory warranty remaining in both cases.

Turbo

Registered Member
i will surely end up using the touch screen. having photoshop in it will allow for more precision with the touch screen for me.

i know ebay is cheaper but seeing as how my mom will be the one purchasing it for me and 'll pay her back it'll have to be direct from hp. she'd be more comfortable with that.

i thought the specs were pretty good, did i miss something?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
They are pretty good. How soon do you need it? If you are able to wait about 6 months or so you could get the same (or a similar) touch screen laptop with Windows 7, which actually has built in OS support for touch screen.

See this thread for more details: http://www.generalforum.com/programs-applications/windows-7-has-touch-screen-56040.html

Of course you could always upgrade to Windows 7 later on as well. It would be cheaper to wait if you can though.

Turbo

Registered Member
i'm thinking sooner than later. kinda tired of sharing the family pc and having my back to my tv to do stuff. i can't multi-task with tv like this. plus the the touch laptop would be useful for me this summer with the possible promotion with my annual job with the MDA Telethon.

how far off is Windows 7 cause i'm hoping to get this within the next month or so.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Like I said Windows 7 is not due out until the end of 2009. You can always upgrade to it when it comes out though for a few hundred.

Turbo

Registered Member
ok, i doubt i'll be waiting that long. i'll hopefully get it soon and then will put money aside while paying off the computer to get the upgrade.

snelling101

Registered Member
if you are into photo editing i would probably look into a mac, the software is much easyer to use, and normally is much more reliable.

Few other notes:
Depending on how much time you have, you should look at waiting on getting one because as per the rumors i have seen 2 things, 1: Macs are going to become much cheaper coming up at the end of the summer. 2: Apply is in the midst of signing a contract with a company to produce its own version of a touch screen.