Possible "goldilocks" planet found

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Millz, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

idisrsly likes this.

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'd read about Gliese 581 a long while back. In fact its the planet we shot Radio Frequencies to about 3-4 years ago. If there is intelligent life back that for some reason speaks english, understands short wave radio frequencies, and can figure out where the hell it came from..... we're supposed to get some sort of correspondence back by 2016 :hah:

Some very valuable information can in fact be gathered by taking note of Gliese 581. If in fact it has liquid water on its surface, that boosts the probability for life astonishingly And even more useful.... just the fact that it is in the habitable zone boosts the probability that OTHER planets that we aren't even aware of are also in the habitable zones of their respective solar systems. And the higher probabilty of Planets = higher probability of extraterrestrial life.

I absolutely adore Astro-Science.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

It's three times the size of earth. Here's another article about it:

Earth-Like Planet Can Sustain Life : Discovery News

Here's a question to ponder though, do you think there are life forms there that have spotted our planet and reported THERE that another life sustaining planet has been discovered?

Maybe the movie ID4 wasn't too far off after all... :shifteyes:

[​IMG]

Only problem is it's 20 light years away...

idisrsly likes this.
  4. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

That's the first thing I thought Hybrix...have they spotted us and wondered the same thing we are wondering about them? It's all really fascinating to me and it's hard to wrap my brain around how big the universe is.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Also, not to burst anybody's bubble, but based on the speeds of the fastest space ship we've created, the Voyager II, moving at a speed of 35,000 mph, it would take roughly 400,000 (four hundred thousand) years to get to this planet.

That's not taking into account all of the details of a ship that could self sustain life for such a long time.. or hold enough fuel... 20,000 generations, which is around 100 times the number of recorded generations in human history. And what if something went wrong 300,000 years into the voyage? Or heck, 399,999 years even... Let's be honest, there are some big asteroids out there.

We'd be better off developing technology for another 400,000 years. By then we could most likely travel much faster. Too bad I don't believe the earth will be around (or life sustaining) in 400,000 years.

Needless to say, none of us will ever see much more about this planet.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I've got 3 questions that come to my mind;

1) The Psychological Ramifications of Planet Hopping. The Phoenix Mars Missions paved the way for future Manned Mars missions, training and battery for such a venture is already underway. However one question that has been raised is; We've been to the Moon and the obvious psychological effects of leaving our home Atmosphere were there.... How much heavier will be a "Earth out of View" effect on the Human mind?

If we go as far as Gliese 581... How dramatic will a "Sun out of View" effect the human psyche?

2) Speaking of the Sun.... our giver of life... how important to our life and well being is that Shower of Plasma and particles that our Sun rains down upon us at all milliseconds of our lives? Do other Suns rain down the same photon mixes on their planets? Or if we leave our Solar system and out of that Charged Particle array... are we going to not have the same Subsistence to survive?

In short... how important is the effect of Our Sun to Human life on a daily basis?

3) And since its transitioned into Life... how would finding life on other planets shake, rattle, or strengthen Earth Based religions?

I dont see anywhere where it mentions God created the Gliese. How will reliable knowledge of Life on another planet effect our Religions?

Bananas and idisrsly like this.
  7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

You should watch the movie Pandorum. It's pretty good. It's about a ship that was sent from Earth to a planet some few thousand years away, and what they did in the movie was put the people into a kind of suspended hypersleep and they'd wake up every so often to run the ship in different crews. They also had some kind of substance added to their fluids while they were sleeping to help them evolve to fit the new planet, too. Interesting movie. But that's what your post reminded me of.

Anyway, this is fascinating news! I'm with Ice on this, though. How much of an impact does our sun have on our lives? Would it make a difference if we were getting a different dosage of solar activity? I bet that living in the constant sunset area would probably do a lot of damage to the psyche, too. The entire population of that planet would be in a ring around the planet.

I like the religious aspect to this as well. Even if it isn't intelligent life on this other planet, any other form of life would probably rule a large portion of religions on this planet completely moot. Did the Christian god create the life on this planet and Krishna created the life on that other planet?

icegoat63 likes this.
  8. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

This is a fascinating story. I lean toward agreeing that the probability of another habitable planet in the solar system, where there are many stars and suns, are high. I don't know about there being 40 billion, as Vogt says, but it would be likely that there are many are planets that are the right size, the right distance from their star, etc.

And no, I don't think there is "human-like" life on those planets looking at us wondering if there is life on earth. I think if anything, it will be living organisms, not intelligent life.

I'll be following this story for sure though. They mention the most important things - liquid water, temperature (although, how feasible is it really to live in either light or darkness the whole time?), gravity, etc. There could be many things that would prohibit life on a planet (within those categories) that they have not found out about yet. So it should be really interesting to see what comes of this.

*fingers crossed Brian Cox makes a documentary about this topic!*

icegoat63 likes this.
  9. Double-R

Double-R Registered Member

I've always been fascinated about this sort of thing. I have to admit that after reading all this, I kinda don't know what to say considering how speechless I am of another planet being out there that could sustain life but, just knowing this alone could open up so many possibilities.

It just goes to show you. You never know what you're gonna find out there.

10. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Hopefully, the James Webb Space Telescope will be able to spot some indications of life there, once it becomes operational. Interestingly, there was a scientist who caught what appeared to be laser signals coming from around the star that planet orbits (before anyone knew a potentially habitable planet was there), but sadly they seemed to be a one-off event, and thus can't be verified as actual laser signals as opposed to some mistake in dude's instrumentation or whatnot.