Possible Fracture?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Smelnick, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

So last weekend, I drank rum all night. Then at breakfast, I was still drunk even after waking up. I turned in my chair to talk to my room mate, and suddenly I went over backwards in it. Not sure how. Note to self, don't stick arm behind you to catch. My wrist has felt sprained all week. The swelling has finally gone down, and it's just two points of pain. Well, only one now, the other went away during the day.

If I face north, the pain is just south of my wrist if I hold it out in front of me while facing north. Right on the bone. When I bend my hand down, I feel seperation. And it hurts. If I poke it, I feel sick to my stomach with pain a bit. Just now, I started getting shooting pains in the tips of my fingers.

I worked monday and tuesday, and was able to lift things not too bad. I just used my elbow instead of hand.

So my question is, is this the symptoms of a possible fracture? Or did I just really sprain it badly? I'm thinking of just going to the clinic tomorrow and getting it xrayed anyways, but I figured I'd get gf's opinion tonight.
    ------
    oh, and to add, the area around the painful spot feels numb on the skin, but not on the bone.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

From my experience drunk injuries and my friends experience I would say it's just sprain. I've never fractured anything, so I don't know how much pain it would cause, if if you're able to do things that you do on a day to day basis without to much pain, then I wouldn't worry about it to much.

But, on the other side of the hand, I'm no doctor, so this is just from drunken injuries I've had over the past.

3. Smelnick

yah, the main thing that worries me is that it doesn't feel like a normal sprain. I've sprained my ankle and wrists many times before. This one feels so different because the pain is centralized on that one spot. I'm a little stressed, because if it is a break, I might have to miss some work. Cannot afford that eek.

4. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

It sounds like a fracture to me. If you feel separation in your wrist, and you're having pain directly on the bone, those are classic symptoms of a fracture. I'd say that the pain and nausea are also signs of a fracture.

Remember, you can actually do things that you normally would do even if you do have a fracture. Having a broken bone won't necessarily stop you from doing anything if you have the will power to continue doing that thing. But I'd absolutely get an xray as soon as you can. It doesn't sound like it's just a normal sprain to me. If it's been more than a few days and you're still having some intense pain, it's more than likely not a sprain.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I know what you mean, this weekend I got off the wrong bus stop at 2am, so I had to run for two hours to get home(no cabs or bus were passing) in the middle of my run I started to get knee pains, but I wanted to go home so badly so I kept running, the next morning when I woke up I had so many problems walking, I thought I did serious damage to my knee. But two days later it was fine.

I know you say it's been a week, but if you can tough it out more I would. My brother did the same thing to his finger while he was drunk, he thought he damaged it pretty badly, but it turned out to be fine.

But once again, I'm no expert and I'm sure some members here will tell you to go see a doctor right away.

6. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I have to disagree with BR telling you to tough it out a little longer. Getting it checked out, even if it turns out there is nothing wrong, is a better idea then leaving it, keep acting as you usually do and potentially doing more damage.

7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I wouldn't risk not going to a doctor. Worst case scenario, you did break it and it's not healing properly. Best case scenario, it is just a sprain and they send you home with a splint.

The first time I broke my arm I had my arm smashed between a football helmet and a face mask. My arm hurt like hell, but I thought the pain would go away or that I'd be fine. After two weeks of playing football and just trying to man through the pain, I finally went to the doctor and he said that it was broken. The kicker is, it started out as a stress fracture and if I wouldn't have done much with it for those two weeks and just kept it in a splint, I probably wouldn't have needed a cast for eight weeks.

Don't chance it. You could do much, much more damage if you do.

8. Smelnick

Yah, alright guys. sounds like a plan. there's a walk in clinic a few blocks away, so I'll go there. Fortunately AND unfortunately I have a high pain tolerance, so sometimes I need a second opinion.

9. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Dude, you are such a nut :spin: I mean that in a good way!

Go to the freaking doctor, man! I thought your health care is awesome up there :)

You only get two arms, when you get old you will wish you took better care of yourself! Just ask my Dad :). These little things add up.

10. Encoder

Encoder Registered Member

I recently hurt my wrist, I fractured my scaphoid after reviewing the x ray with a doctor. *I really dont like doctors* A field test for this fracture is if you feel pain when pushing your thumb in towards your palm, you broke something.