Posing as Religious Symbols, Bad Taste?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by icegoat63, Feb 12, 2010.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Sometimes these celebrities just take it a step to far..... or do they? :eyebrow:

But what is to far? At what point is every pose, style, and dress taboo? I realize this particular article is nothing more than Hollywood Gossip... but I think there is a decent debate that can be had about how much does it take for something like this to be in bad taste or the flip side of this coin; At what point are people just being too sensitive to things like this?

Is reaction mongering really worth pissing off whole religious sects? Should photographers or other crew members have opposed something like this? At what point has something like this photo shoot just gone to far?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I do know that if the images look anything like Muhammed, then the actress and the magazine (or maybe even entire France although i haven't heard of this publication before) will be dealing with way more than angry talk from clergymen. Ok, so maybe that reaction is exaggerated. However, I think those who hold these images or anything related to their diety so sacredly, have reason to be offended when it's used like this elsewhere. However, it's nothing illegal and is not a reflection itself of the religion (not bashing it, etc.); It's just in poor taste and could be very controversial --- although I think it's what exactly they're looking for here. Provocation and controversy for publicity's sake. But they can hide under the reason: it's art.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't think people's main concern should be if they are upsetting any particular group of people. Instead, their primary concern should be being 100% sure that the religious figure they are portraying not only isn't real, but doesn't have the ability to smite them. I think that should be the main concern here. ;)

4. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

They should be more offended because it's Lindsay Lohan more than anything.

I guess they could be angry. I could understand, but I wouldn't be sympathetic. Coming from a religion that loves to have its image everywhere (or at least it seems like it), stuff like this is bound to come up in media every so often.

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

That's still controversial? People have been using irreverence towards the crucification to be controversial forever. I thought folks were over it? There's an entire movie devoted to it, for Christ's sake. :)

YouTube - Life Of Brian - Ending

6. Viro91

Viro91 Registered Member

Nothing Man-made is sacred. Important and special maybe, but never sacred.