Popular Vote Movement

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
There is a real movement to end the electoral college for selecting the President and replace it with a straight popular vote.

National Popular Vote -- Electoral college reform by direct election of the President

A bill just went through NJ and more are on the table elsewhere. It has huge support. I don't really like the idea. First, it may be unConstitutional which is a big deal. Other than that, I think the big cities will decide the vote. How would you like a President going to all the major cities and promising them the world while flying over the rest of the Country? There are very different lifestyles and issues in the cities compared to the rest of the nation.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
It's not unconstitutional. States would simply reform their constitutions to say that they would give their electors (which they have complete control over) to whomever wins the national popular vote.

I'd much rather just have a federal amendment, but this seems to be fairly efficient.

What? A president needing to get the majority vote rather than one that's only arbitrarily based on the public's wants? Preposterous.

That sound like some kind of Democratic propaganda to me.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
It's not unconstitutional. States would simply reform their constitutions to say that they would give their electors (which they have complete control over) to whomever wins the national popular vote.

I'd much rather just have a federal amendment, but this seems to be fairly efficient.
hmmm, maybe its the states giving away their 'say' in the election I don't like. My state always goes Republican mainly b/c its an oil state and we vote for more drilling/less tax. So if Obama wins the national vote and Thompson wins the state vote, all of our electoral votes would go to Obama? I can't see why state legislators would sign this? In any state, not just Blue states.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
As a step away from federalism, I dislike the idea of a popular vote in general. There are very good reasons for having the State governments remain more relevant to each citizen's daily life than the Federal government, and this would represent yet another shift in the balance of responsibility away from the States.

As far as this particular bill goes, I don't see how it could ever pass Constitutional muster. IMO, it's unquestionably in violation of the 14th Amendment. It abridges the right of that State's citizens to vote for President by diluting their votes with votes from the rest of the country, and thus could be grounds for New Jersey losing all but one of its Representatives.

Considering Bush won the Electoriate, but not popular, I am all for this.
I really hope the results of one election isn't your real reason for supporting a major change in the Constitution, especially since it suggests you'd support retaining the Electoral College had Gore won there, but not in the popular vote.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
A candidate should win on popular vote, arent we the ones electing the president?

I know the electoral colledge has been around, but I believe the people should chose, not a buncha asshats who pull for there own party