Pope John Paul Topps Card

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Two interesting things:

1)The guy who found this card sold it to the dealer (for less than $10K) who is auctioning. Stinks to be him.

2)This card is NOT signed by JPII. It simply contains his signiture that was traced onto the card. I wonder if people who are bidding $75K realize this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98015&item=5195111658&rd=1

Last edited:

TGirl

Registered Member
What I want to know is where do these people come up with kind of money and its not even a true document.....ugggggggggggggggg you can even tell its not a personal sig...its a reproduction or something....

If you are going to throw money away well just give it to me...I will sign a peice of paper or color a pic for ya....
lol
~Trina~

helpisontheway

Registered Member
No it is an actual signed card... It's much like the patch card that was selling big on eBay with Gretzky and some other guy... What happened is someone got a real Pope signature and it is part of the card it's hard to explain but the card is made with two peices and the signature portion is like a frame... I have seen one made of Regan before and it sold pretty huge after he passed at a New York auction...

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
helpisontheway said:
No it is an actual signed card... It's much like the patch card that was selling big on eBay with Gretzky and some other guy... What happened is someone got a real Pope signature and it is part of the card it's hard to explain but the card is made with two peices and the signature portion is like a frame... I have seen one made of Regan before and it sold pretty huge after he passed at a New York auction...
This is interesting. When I first read this article:
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7791962/
I was thinking that the card was not actually signed. Reading it again, I think I understand what you are talking about. Here's the quote from the piece:

Since George Washington isn’t around to give his John Hancock, Topps used “cut signatures” — autographs cut out and embedded into a card. While historians might be horrified, it’s an accepted, authenticated practice. And collectors love it.
Here's the part that throws me:
So Topps responded with two sets this year: the 48-card World Treasures collection featuring a lineup of historical heavy hitters such as the pope, Napoleon Bonaparte and Winston Churchill; and a 51-card Power Brokers series that ranges from John Paul Getty and P.T. Barnum to Thomas Edison, Martin Luther King Jr. and Helen Keller.
According ro my understanding now, there is a card that has the physical signiture of Napoleon Bonaparte and the rest. wow!

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
wow- I can't wait until the other cards in the set surface to see what they go for.
man, I still feel sorry for the guy that found the card though. Geez- he sold it for 3-5K. what a bad deal.

helpisontheway

Registered Member
It amazes me that there is still TWO more days remaining for that card... do you think Golden Palace will step in and grab it at the end? It's at 101,500.01 US now...