• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Pope backtracking on condom statement

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Catholic church is generally against birth control in all forms. The only type of birth control they encourage is planning intercourse around a woman's cycle, but never intervening with birth control devices or pills.

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
Does anyone care what the Pope thinks??...seriously??
I sometimes have always wondered where/what Jesus ever said about birth control.
As far as I know, it wasn't a subject he lectured about.
I think the Pope forbid birth control so that more and more good little Catholics would be born.
Easy for a man who's filthy rich and unmarried to preach about such matters!
God forbid people stop producing children to molest....

Last edited:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Millions of Catholics across the globe… :rolleyes:

I don’t quite get the statement, but from what I can gather the Pope said that the use of a condom is ok in some circumstances, such as to avoid the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Diseases could also be spread inside marital relationships. I don’t think his statement means he condones sex outside of marriage, just that the use of a condom should can be condoned in the case of avoiding diseases. And I don't think his statement had anything to do with the use of a condom as a contraceptive, which they are staunchly against.

I know it’s a stretch and opens up a million other questions. I just think it’s easy for people to take the Pope’s statement out of the intended meaning.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I know it’s a stretch and opens up a million other questions. I just think it’s easy for people to take the Pope’s statement out of the intended meaning.
The problem is figuring out what the intended meaning is. Regardless, it is an interesting stance to now take, considering he previously stated that condoms only make things worse regarding AIDS.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I sometimes have always wondered where/what Jesus ever said about birth control.
As far as I know, it wasn't a subject he lectured about.
I think the Pope forbid birth control so that more and more good little Catholics would be born.
Easy for a man who's filthy rich and unmarried to preach about such matters!
God forbid people stop producing children to molest....
Millions of Catholics around the world. And that last sentence is WAY out of line, and disgusting really.

It's irrelevant whether Jesus preached about birth control, what is relevant is establishing doctrine consistent with Catholic teaching.

Don't agree? Don't be a Catholic. I don't understand why anyone who isn't a Catholic or follows Catholic teaching gives a shit.

Dabs

Registered Member
Millions of Catholics around the world. And that last sentence is WAY out of line, and disgusting really.

It's irrelevant whether Jesus preached about birth control, what is relevant is establishing doctrine consistent with Catholic teaching.

Don't agree? Don't be a Catholic. I don't understand why anyone who isn't a Catholic or follows Catholic teaching gives a shit.

I forgot all about making the post I made, considering I commented back on November 23, and here it is now January 18, and whoa!...I have people jumping my ass!
I'm not Catholic...I'm not any religion.....and I hear more bad issues concerning the Popes than I do good.
If I offended anyone, then here I go again...I will apologize.
Geeez...seems like that's all I ever do, is find myself apologizing because of something I said.
The topic was put up for discussion...am I right??
I give my opinions, I discuss it....and shit, I get bad Reps and bad comments.
But...wth...I am sorry....but...I still don't give a shit about the Pope.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I forgot all about making the post I made, considering I commented back on November 23, and here it is now January 18, and whoa!...I have people jumping my ass!
I'm not Catholic...I'm not any religion.....and I hear more bad issues concerning the Popes than I do good.
Geeez...seems like that's all I ever do, is find myself apologizing because of something I said.
Could you stop putting so many "...." in your post! It's hard to read.

For anything the Pope says, some religious group will find the most popularly acceptable interpretation and convince people that was what the Pope meant and everyone will bob their head saying "Yes, of course that's what he meant"

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The topic was the Pope's stance on condoms, if you sincerely believe that his stance is based on wanting more children conceived so they can be molested, then I really don't know what to say. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I consider that opinion to be lacking in logic and not very well thought out. And if you sincerely wonder who listens to the Pope then I gather you're not much of a reader.

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion, just like I'm entitled to call you on it. If it's such a solid opinion, then defend it.

Since you quoted me you're implying I negged you which I did not. I did want to put that on the record.

Dabs

Registered Member
The topic was the Pope's stance on condoms, if you sincerely believe that his stance is based on wanting more children conceived so they can be molested, then I really don't know what to say. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I consider that opinion to be lacking in logic and not very well thought out. And if you sincerely wonder who listens to the Pope then I gather you're not much of a reader.

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion, just like I'm entitled to call you on it. If it's such a solid opinion, then defend it.

Since you quoted me you're implying I negged you which I did not. I did want to put that on the record.

And I will make that clear for the record, I'm sorry if it appeared that I was noting you were the one who negged me, but you were not, and as for the Pope, it's best I just stay off that subject :-/