Politics In The Internet Age

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by TimmehD, May 21, 2008.

1. TimmehD

TimmehD Registered Member

This concept really hit me while I was browsing through this thread:

http://www.generalforum.com/politics-political-news/video-portrait-barack-hussein-obama-39735.html

I want to know how you think politics is effected by the internet.

If you think about it, pre-internet there was only two sources for getting information out about a candidate, newspaper and television. Now, with the introduction of the third main source, suddenly everyone is a journalist.

Say a video that slanders Hillary Clinton becomes a viral video, scoring hundreds of thousands of views in a few months. Will this be detrimental to her political career, or will it simply be played off by voters?

I hold onto the idea that most voters are uninformed and often misled. Will the internet make them more informed by supplying all the issues and stances at a glance or will it mislead people more with the hundreds of "Candidate Slandering Montages" on YouTube?

It's hard to tell, really, but I believe there absolutely has to be some impact on presidential elections after the introduction of the internet, where everyone is able to share their opinion.

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Internet provides a venue to spread/get information at a fast speed. Will it make people more informed? Yes. Will it mislead people more? No. I mean, not more than they are already misled before internet.

I think people who are stupid, will make stupid choices and conclusions no matter what info you present them. Internet doesn't change that. It cannot go any worse, only better - if one day some of them try to really take time to discern facts from misinformation/propaganda.

On the other hand, people who are smart would know how to verify information using counter searches or snopes.com making it harder to mislead them even if you provide a lot of bullshit links. They are more selective and will not just believe anything you tell them without supporting evidence. Internet will often work for them as a tool to be more informed (and probably help to inform others who are "lost" by engaging in discussions - something you can't do when you read the papers or watch the tv).

Overall benefit: good.:lol:

3. TimmehD

Too bad the latter form of voter is the rarer of the two, eh?

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

It's beneficial because people can actual find a lot more information on their candidates and know a lot more about who they're voting for.

Yes, it also makes it easier for people to be lied to and tricked but for the most part, the internet is allowing more voices to be heard and is getting information out there.

5. viLky

viLky ykLiv

The media tends to have an agenda. They'll be bias and misleading of one candidate while putting the other on a pedestal. Online you do your own research about each candidate and have more knowledge to make a better decision.

It's a good thing, this Internet. :boat:

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  6. TimmehD

I would like to think that, but when I see threads like the one I mentioned in the OP, it makes me wonder the real benefits.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Why? Because someone is bias?

That's nothing new nor should it detract from the internet's usefulness. News sources (non-net) lie all the time and spin stories they want to based on their own (or their higher up companies) agendas and beliefs.

There will always be extremists or those who refuse to budge from their positions, that's just the world.

Babe_Ruth and viLky like this.
  8. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

The internet increases scrutiny. The Daily Kos membership alone as a whole reads every single speech given by candidates, tracks every single congressional and senatorial race, and monitors every single major news source for omissions, inaccuracies and bias. It now makes everything public, and stories now are starting more and more from the ground up. Daily Kos or other blog stories hit something like the Huffington Post, which then gets into online newspapers and CNN, which makes it into the print media.

Also, the Internet is a tremendous make-or-break place for organizing and fundraising. The Obama campaign got me on board because they used Google Maps to show me where to go to volunteer. One reason that Obama has consistently led Clinton in fundraising is that his internet movement is much more crisp, efficient, and powerful.

Howard Dean showed that politics cannot be moved by the Internet alone. 2008 has shown that the Internet cannot be ignored. ActBlue, which is primarily supported by the blogosphere has raised 250,000$ for Rich Noriega, running for the US Senate. That's real money used in the real world.

Turn your back on the internet and it will come back and haunt you. It's much more integrated with the population and media at large than it has been at any previous point in time.