Politician's private life?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by EllyDicious, Feb 26, 2010.

1. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Should politicians' private life matter to us?
    Is it related to the way they may govern the country/state/area?
    If you know something way wrong about their past private life, would you take it into consideration when choosing them?
    [especially when we talk about president, secretary of state, mayors... other similar governments].

Knowing all these and more about a politician, would you still choose him to rule the country?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010

2. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

Of course the private life of politicians should matter. For example, I wouldn't want some coke snorting abusive person making decisions than can have an effect on the rest of my life. The are a billion reasons why politicians must be seen to be good people.

3. EllyDicious

Appearing as a good person and actually being a good person, are 2 different things.
    The example I mentioned is typically a man who seems to do everything in the right manner, but not everyone knows the truth inside of him ...

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Of course it matters. Say you have a guy running for an office stressing family values. Then, you find out he beats his wife on a regular basis. Are you telling me that wouldn't sway your vote?

5. EllyDicious

Of course it would. But I hear people always telling me that his private life is not my business as long as he's doing his job in the right way.
    I feel this is wrong.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I mean that would be the way it is in an ideal world but in this day and age where everyone is owned by someone and people often are found lying about their everyday lives it's only common practice to pry into the private lives of people in power.

7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

It depends on the situation. In the example you gave, yes it matters and I wouldn't vote for him.

8. Diederick

Diederick Registered Member

I think policians should be chosen on grounds of their capability and their stance on various issues. If a politician is mentally unstable to a significant degree, I think he should not be able to put himself up for office.

I wouldn't vote for a violent person or a rapist, but I would be neutral about a paedosexual ('paedophile'). People's sense of right and wrong is my concern in the voting booth - I don't care what they do beyond that.