Political Correctness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wooly, Jan 13, 2009.

1. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

there are lots of examples of PC gone too far, but what do you think is the most retarded example of 'political correctness' that you've ever come across?

For me it has to be when Christmas lights were renamed 'winter lights' or 'celebrity lights' in certain places in London a few years back, as it could have been 'offensive'..... somehow. I remember all the musims being interviewed and saying "we love christmas!". The people who come up with this crap really have no idea.

2. joshrcay

joshrcay Registered Member

I agree, thats ridiculous. I was going to say the fact that Merry Christmas has been changed to Happy Holidays, but the lights thing is even worse!

3. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

Yeah, the lights thing was ridiculous, but there was a story here about a week ago that had a Headmistress rename her school to "A place of learning", because school conjoured up "bad images".

Also, this whole recent business about there needing to be a black Doctor Who and a black James Bond is out of hand in my opinion. They're messing with established characters for no actual reason.

4. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

reminds me of that one thread a while back about Will Smith potentially playing Captain America. yikes...:shifteyes:

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't know about you guys but I'm offended half the time people push for political correctness. So which is the worse offense? People are always going to offend you and you're probably always going to offend others unless you live a life of simply not caring about anything... and even then people will be offended by that.

Welcome to the life. You WILL get offended. You WILL offend others. Learn to deal with it/ignore it and move on.

AnitaKnapp likes this.
  6. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

[​IMG]

I find the most un-PC people are the ones being PC. For most people (even those it is supposed to offend) it is clearly not an issue, some people just like to feel good about themselves by pretending to do good by others and creating a non-issue. The sad part being they are the only ones who are making something unexceptional and making it offensive.

I think the funniest PC story I have heard was this one; Link

"Three little pigs...." offensive to Muslims:-/:confused::lol::lol::shifteyes::stare::(:cry:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  7. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

exactly, i mean there was another story where they replaced 'baa-baa black sheep' with 'baa-baa rainbow sheep' so it wouldn't be offensive to black people, or make children racist.... however the hell it would manage to do that. But without these supposedly PC people pointing that out, nobody would EVER relate baa baa black sheep to racism. They're missing the whole point of PC where everybody is supposed to be treated EQUALLY. Not picked out and put into categories.

and that three little pigs story is just..... insane!

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Rainbow sheep? Uh oh. Now we've just offended the gay community! :shocked: :lol:

Seriously though. What's wrong with black sheep? Sheep can actually be black... It's not racist, it's describing the type of sheep. We ARE talking about sheep right? I mean... wouldn't the sheep have to be the ones getting offended? Now we can't describe something as being of the color black without offending people? I don't even think any black people would care about that.

And for the record I am offended when normal things like 'baa-baa-black sheep' are changed so nobody is offended. It's offensive to live in a society where people actually believe that people are so fragile emotionally that they can't get past small offenses, whether or not these things actually offend people in the first place.

So somebody offended you? Good, that means you stand for something.

9. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

In Winnipeg, we have something called the Legislative buildings. Something to do with politics and Winnipeg being the center for Manitoba politics. I remember reading in the newspaper last year about how some MLA was pushing for the christmas tree to be removed from the lobby because it was offensive to other religions. She didn't want to push christianity on other people. In trying not to offend people, she ended up offending half the town. Christmas trees are a symbol of christmas, not just christian christmas, but commercial 'Xmas' as well. I don't mind replacing Merry Christmas with Happy Holidays. At least that's close to the truth, but leave our freaking christmas trees alone!!!

10. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

i'd love to try and see somebody from this Political correctness campaign try and rename ramadan to "the big fast" because it is offensive to christians... or say you can't use the phrase 'white lie' because it paints a negative image of white people :p