• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Polio-like illness crippling California kids

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
As many as 25 children in California have been afflicted with a rare polio-like illness leaving them with paralyzed limbs and respiratory problems, USA Today reports.

Doctors puzzled by polio-like illness crippling California kids: ‘What we?re seeing now is bad’ | The Raw Story
This doesn't sound good and I wonder where it came from? If I lived in California I would be concerned about this. Which just because it's just in California now doesn't mean it will stay there. Hope they can get a handle on it before it spreads.

Clare

Registered Member
Yeah, stories like this really make you think. It seems like there are lots of weird things happening nowadays that nobody really knows the cause of, like the rising cancer rates and more and more people getting allergies. I think at least some of the cause must be environmental factors.

This story made me think of a documentary I saw a couple of years ago about a group of students from the same school in Le Roy, New York coming down with tourettes like symptoms.

It's all very strange. I think I'd also be a bit wary about this if I lived in California.

dDave

V.I.P.
Here's my biggest question. Where did this disease come from? If it's not polio but it's just like Polio then what are we supposed to do about it? Can't just create a vaccine overnight, especially when we don't even know what it is. Something has to have caused this, but what?

I really hope that this doesn't spread to the rest of the country. The last thing we need is another Polio epidemic in America (I am well aware that this is not polio but only like it).

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its kind of like when AIDS got started. There was only a few cases at first and the doctors were stumped at what was causing it. They finally figured out what it was and it came from the African Green Monkey.

Unlike AIDS this might be spread like any virus spreads and that's what worries me. If it does a few cases could turn into an epidemic pretty fast. Since there are only 25, that they know of, I'm hoping that's not the case.

Its funny how these things can seem to come out of nowhere. If I were the doctors I would look to see what these kids had in common.