• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Policies that led to the killing of OBL

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
To get bin Laden, Obama relied on policies he decried | Michael Barone | Politics | Washington Examiner

Without these policies OBL would be alive today:

• Waterboarding:
    The enhanced interrogation techniques reportedly led to identification of the courier who eventually led our forces to bin Laden's hiding place....many Democrats called for criminal prosecution of CIA interrogators who were acting under orders vetted by legal counsel. Attorney General Eric Holder actually considered bringing such prosecutions.
  • Wiretapping:
    This was the "domestic wiretapping" revealed to great acclaim by the New York Times and presented as an intolerable infringement of civil liberties. Given what we know now, it's a good thing our folks were tuning in.
  • Joint Special Operations Command:
    It was fashionable a few years ago to call the JSOC Cheney's death squad and Cheney's assassination team.
  • Targeted Assassination:
    There was criticism as well of the idea of targeting particular individuals for assassination. But in ordering the raid on bin Laden's compound Obama authorized the killing of bin Laden. And no Miranda warnings first.
  • Unilateral Operation:
    Finally, let us note that this was a unilateral operation. Obama didn't go to the United Nations Security Council. He didn't, so far as we know, consult NATO allies. He took care not to inform the government of Pakistan, some elements of which obviously knew that bin Laden was ensconced in a house 800 meters away from Pakistan's military academy.

Some of those things I agree with, others I'm not so sure about. For better or worse, Obama has grown into the presidency. I remember an interview with Bush just before he left the office where the reporter asked him if he was worried that Obama would be weak on the War of Terror. His response was: Not at all. When Obama sees the reports I see every day, he will make the same decisions that I make.

Bush was right. 2008 Obama and 2008 Eric Holder would call 2012 Obama a war criminal and prosecute him.

Last edited:

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
Oh hell yeah, it's simply fact that Bush-era policies and tactics were continued. But it is impossible to prove that OBL would have gotten away alive and undetected had there been no EIT.

The enhanced interrogation techniques reportedly led to identification of the courier who eventually led our forces to bin Laden's hiding place. Critics of waterboarding and other enhanced interrogation techniques assured us that "torture" could not produce reliable information.

They were probably right that sometimes such techniques yield false information. But the bin Laden operation shows that they can also produce actionable intelligence.
Whomever said torture never in history produced actionable and reliable intelligence is simply mistaken. I'm glad the writer points out that, yes, EIT sometimes produces bad data. Hey, if I get the feeling like I'm drowning, I'd probably tell you anything you'd want to know.

But I'll just put it out there that it took 10 years. Could we have done it without EIT? I don't know. It sure took long enough to do it with EIT. So we've now proven that both EIT and non-EIT can produce both reliable information and unreliable information. We can get from point A to point B via either road 1 or road 2. The question then, is, "Which road weighs heavier on our principles and morals, seeing as how they both have a patchy track record?" Further, "In what ratio should we use these techniques?"

I'm going to be a realist and say that these tactics Obama decried are going to continue being used, and that in extremely exceptional cases the moral weights are going to land in favor of their use.

I want desperately to draw the absolute on this and say, "No...torture and infringement are simply ALWAYS wrong," but I know that there's some collegiate debater out there that could string together a moral hypothetical in which torture would bring about a better, more ethical result.

I just think that EIT should be relied upon less, seeing as how we can achieve the same result through varying combinations of the above-mentioned tactics.

And yeah, I agree that 2008 Obama is not the guy up there now. But it's to be expected that a certain amount of "pillow talk" is to be said during campaigning. It never excuses anyone--it's just not surprising.

Interesting link--thank's for finding it.