• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Police state?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Now that I have a little more time and I'm not using my phone, I'll post a review of our interaction in this thread. Just for fun and the amusement of the lurkers:lol:

You really want to say that it was me who brought up dictatorship in a thread titled "Police State?" with an OP that said America was beginning to resemble 1984? Now that is an interesting theory.
Yes, it was you that brought up both dictatorship and Obama. IMO neither of which have much to do with this thread.

You can post that question all you want, it's still irrelevant
I find it completely relevant to the topic at hand.
you're still evading my original question, which I asked you first.
:lol: well nanner nanner boo boo I asked you second and 2 is bigger than one, as if that has anything to do with your refusal to answer my question.

Strawman tactics detected.
:lol:

Exactly. In this case, it's a textbook definition of it.
As I already posted the definition of "straw man" I won't bother to do it again, as anyone can see that you employ that tactic of mischaracterization frequently.

Again, straw man. I never said, implied or advocated for any of this. Yet when I ask you if a city should enforce a law that it passes, I'm suddenly asked to defend a court ruling on a completely unrelated topic. You may as well have asked me to denounce the holocaust, as that would be just as relevant.
That's funny, it seems all of those points are relevant to the topic. Yet the holocaust is not. I did not ask you to defend anything, I asked you to clearly state your position of the items brought up in the thread, which you seem unwilling to do.

So I'll ask you one last time, if a city passes a law on garbage sorting, why should enforcement methods be criticized when there's obviously no other way to enforce it?
That would be a different question

If you don't want to directly answer that, then don't bother responding to me at all.
Why participate in a thread and demand answers to your question while refusing to answer a simple question yourself.

Oh wow. Just... wow.
Yea, that's what I think when you do it over and over.

Sarah Palin?
Talk about irrevelant. Are we playing a name association game now? OK I'll try it too: Saul Alinsky?

After refusing to answer anything in a direct or logical manner, you started asking me completely irrelevant questions. If you ask someone to denounce something, it implies they or an associate of theirs has an interest in the issue.
Again I asked a question completely relevant to this thread. I did not ask you to support or denounce something, I asked your opinion about the issue at hand. If it is your opinion that question implies something then it is my opinion that your statement in that regard is quite a leap.

Finally! Was that so hard?
Finally?! I think that I was pretty clear about my opinion, but based upon your mischaracterizations of my opinions maybe you are just having a hard time understanding.

Just trying to confirm that you do in fact believe that police enforcing recycling laws will help destroy America.
&
Oh wow. Just... wow.
I would venture to guess that others see the straw silhouette that you just built through your oversimplification and mischaracterization.

Irrelevant to the question I asked.
Yet quite relevant to the topic at hand. Yet you still refuse to take a position, you only attack others.

But YES!:lol:

Simply restating this post of yours.
Simply mischaracterizing that post of mine.

So will you continue to evade and obfuscate or will you finally answer the questions I ask of you? Or will you refuse to answer, take no position on the topic at hand, and instead choose to continue to mischaracterize and attack?

Here, just so I am clear, this is my question to you: Do you support these laws and their enforcement as noted in this thread?
  • People fined for improperly sorted garbage
  • 12 year old girl arrested for eating french fries on a subway
  • Man going to jail for over a year for imported lobster tail
  • Man arrested for 21 months in federal prison for not using the right form to ship sodium
  • Man fined $5000 for growing vegetables in his yard
  • Man arrested for 17 months in Federal prison for not having proper paperwork for his flower business
It is a pretty simple question, in my opinion. So I wonder if you will take a position or if you will just continue down the path that you are on?

Last edited:

Gavik

Registered Member
Yes, it was you that brought up both dictatorship and Obama. IMO neither of which have much to do with this thread.
Dictatorship and Obama (who've you labeled a dictator in nearly every other thread of yours) has nothing to do with a police state thread that mentions 1984. Just sit back and think about that for a second.

I find it completely relevant to the topic at hand.

That's funny, it seems all of those points are relevant to the topic. Yet the holocaust is not. I did not ask you to defend anything, I asked you to clearly state your position of the items brought up in the thread, which you seem unwilling to do.

Again I asked a question completely relevant to this thread. I did not ask you to support or denounce something, I asked your opinion about the issue at hand. If it is your opinion that question implies something then it is my opinion that your statement in that regard is quite a leap.
Yet the topic and discussion are not the same thing.

That would be a different question
It's the same.

Finally?! I think that I was pretty clear about my opinion, but based upon your mischaracterizations of my opinions maybe you are just having a hard time understanding.

So will you continue to evade and obfuscate or will you finally answer the questions I ask of you? Or will you rufuse to answer, take no position on the topic at hand, and instead choose to continue to mischaracterize and attack?

&
I would venture to guess that others see the straw silhouette that you just built through your oversimplification and mischaracterization.

Yet quite relevant to the topic at hand. Yet you still refuse to take a position, you only attack others.
I asked a question, you asked another question instead of answering, and when I asked for an answer to the original question I get a shit storm about mis-characterizing and how I'm such a terrible debater that only attacks others.

But YES!:lol:

Simply mischaracterizing that post of mine.
I'll spell this out as simply as I can.

Your first mention of the trash story:

SS said:
Well I don't know about the videos posted. As Americans we have the right to peaceably assemble, not riot. But that is not the point of the thread. It is more along the lines of what Ilus pointed out, death by a million papercuts.
What I said:

Gavik said:
Just trying to confirm that you do in fact believe that police enforcing recycling laws will help destroy America.
"Death by a million papercuts." It means that several small things will add up to destroy something large. I assume you mention this story because you see it as a "paper cut." Otherwise it's irrelevant to the topic.

Now, in this case, the thing killed by papercuts is America. It is being "destroyed." Therefore, this incident is a papercut that is helping to kill, or destroy, America.

What I said was an exact restatement. There's no getting around that. If you want to change your original analysis, fine. Otherwise, you're playing word games in an attempt to make me look like I'm attacking your views when I simply asked for clarification or you have no idea what "death by a million papercuts" actually means.

Here, just so I am clear, this is my question to you: Do you support these laws and their enforcement as noted in this thread?
  • People fined for improperly sorted garbage
  • 12 year old girl arrested for eating french fries on a subway
  • Man going to jail for over a year for imported lobster tail
  • Man arrested for 21 months in federal prison for not using the right form to ship sodium
  • Man fined $5000 for growing vegetables in his yard
  • Man arrested for 17 months in Federal prison for not having proper paperwork for his flower business
It is a pretty simple question, in my opinion. So I wonder if you will take a position or if you will just continue down the path that you are on?
1-In some cases, yes. Not in the exact case you quoted, but there are some occasions.
2-I do not favor her arrest. However, eating on public transit should not be allowed.
3-No
4-No
5-Improper paperwork should not be punishable by jail time unless it is large scale fraud.

Now that I have a little more time and I'm not using my phone, I'll post a review of our interaction in this thread. Just for fun and the amusement of the lurkers:lol:

:lol: well nanner nanner boo boo I asked you second and 2 is bigger than one, as if that has anything to do with your refusal to answer my question.

:lol:

As I already posted the definition of "straw man" I won't bother to do it again, as anyone can see that you employ that tactic of mischaracterization frequently.

Why participate in a thread and demand answers to your question while refusing to answer a simple question yourself.

Yea, that's what I think when you do it over and over.

Talk about irrevelant. Are we playing a name association game now? OK I'll try it too: Saul Alinsky?
I have answered your irrelevant questions. The fact is that none of these stories really have anything to do with each other or the OP. There is no coherent argument in this thread. You just spam a bunch of links to stories about draconian punishments and police overstepping their authority. None of this is presented in any form of an argument that adds up to America transforming into a police state. You're just linking to articles and made grand, sweeping statements and accusations without actually connecting anything.

Then, when challenged on anything, you label those who disagree with you as malicious, baiting or some other slur to discredit them. Every single thread becomes a bizarre exercise in literalism where there must be a clear winner, that winner must be you and everyone must know it. What you fail to realize is that MD isn't actually a kindergarten playground (despite their striking similarities). Your above post that "summarizes" the thread for "lurkers," when anyone interested in this topic may easily click a button and see all previous discussion anyway, is further proof of this. None of your topics are conducive to debate, they are simply incoherent rants that, when challenged, shift the focus to the opposition's imaginary logical fallacies from any real issue at hand.

However, in attempt to help you, I will direct you to Blogger. It's a fantastic place that I think would be well suited to you. No debates, no responses, no pesky little different ideas. Just pure, free flow of whatever you think, whenever you think, no matter how convoluted or irrelevant.

But before you reply, allow me to post your usual response for you ":lol::lol::lol: see he just baits me! What a stupid liberal, I win!:lol::lol::lol:" feel free to add your usual closing statements that completely ignore the entire topic and simply reinforce the dogma of your original posts.

Have a nice day! :)

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Since you already posted lol then I will use my favorite :spin: to represent the spin that you seem to be applying.

So if I have "labeled" Obama as "dictator" then I'm sure you will have no problem posting multiple links proving your point. I find this assertion of yours quite humorous since I don't see him as a dictator. Nor do I see his relevance here as I don't think he made or enforced any of the items referenced in the thread. Furthermore I don't see how these mostly local issues relate to him in any way whatsoever. But feel free to contunue to project your views upon me if it gives you some sort of self-gratification.

A shit-storm? :lol: again with the projection. I don't think you're a "terrible debater" quite the opposite actually. It would seem that you are quite adept at using the many debate "tools" that you apply.

Gavik

Registered Member
Since you already posted lol then I will use my favorite :spin: to represent the spin that you seem to be applying.

So if I have "labeled" Obama as "dictator" then I'm sure you will have no problem posting multiple links proving your point. I find this assertion of yours quite humorous since I don't see him as a dictator. Nor do I see his relevance here as I don't think he made or enforced any of the items referenced in the thread. Furthermore I don't see how these mostly local issues relate to him in any way whatsoever. But feel free to contunue to project your views upon me if it gives you some sort of self-gratification.

A shit-storm? :lol: again with the projection. I don't think you're a "terrible debater" quite the opposite actually. It would seem that you are quite adept at using the many debate "tools" that you apply.
Oh my, I am so, so sorry. It appears I've made a terrible mistake: I forgot to include your obsession with playing the victim of "spin."

So Obama's not a dictator, just an elitist, fascist hell-bent on destroying America to remake it in his own image. Gotchya.

Keep making a huge deal over 1 word because remember: As long as you make things more literal than the other person, you'll always be right. Premium!

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
The death by a million papercuts was a comment about the incremental excesses related to Ilus' post and not my comment about the link I posted. It just happened to be another silly story I had come across about the same time I posted my reply. What you wrote is not an exact restatement, just your own interpretation of my post.

Now that you have expressed your opinion instead of trying to misrepresent mine I really wonder what is your point in this thread if not to try and pick a fight with me and do all those things that you accuse me of. It would seem this discussion attracted the input of others that didn't see this as an opportunity to attack but to express their opinions and add other examples.

I also find it funny that this discussion must be a debate and that you are defining for me what the OP I wrote is all about. So instead of trying to "help" me why not just take you own advice?

Furthermore, your projection of feelings, attitudes, and opinions upon me is amusing. I don't think you just bait me, that you are stupid, I don't label you a liberal, and I don't see this discussion as a win/lose proposition. But I do find your tactics interesting and feel that I am learning from you, for whatever that's worth.

So thanks, I'm having a great day! You do the same!

Oh BTW, that was really cool how you ended with a smiley!

Gavik

Registered Member
The death by a million papercuts was a comment about the incremental excesses related to Ilus' post and not my comment about the link I posted. It just happened to be another silly story I had come across about the same time I posted my reply. What you wrote is not an exact restatement, just your own interpretation of my post.
Can't you make it a bit more literal?

I could try to state the obvious fact that the two are connected, but I'll go with your story of just dribbling sayings and links into a miscellaneous post.

Now that you have expressed your opinion instead of trying to misrepresent mine I really wonder what is your point in this thread if not to try and pick a fight with me and do all those things that you accuse me of. It would seem this discussion attracted the input of others that didn't see this as an opportunity to attack but to express their opinions and add other examples.

I also find it funny that this discussion must be a debate and that you are defining for me what the OP I wrote is all about. So instead of trying to "help" me why not just take you own advice?
Kids at home take note: You'll never have to respond if you never acknowledge that an opinion different from yours exists in the first place. And apparently, the OP's posts always mean what they say it means, no matter how much that meaning may change.

Furthermore, your projection of feelings, attitudes, and opinions upon me is amusing.
You could have saved yourself so much time by replacing all your posts on this page with "no u."

I don't think you just bait me,
SS said:
There it is, the champagne supernova of baiting by the master!
that you are stupid, I don't label you a liberal,
Yet you feel the need to give a serious reply to that post.

and I don't see this discussion as a win/lose proposition.
Smilin' FTW!
But I do find your tactics interesting and feel that I am learning from you, for whatever that's worth.
Remember kids, posting in a thread is actually just using tricky tactics to attack someone for whatever reason they want to think.

So thanks, I'm having a great day! You do the same!
Well, a special little boy deserves a very special day.

Oh BTW, that was really cool how you ended with a smiley!
Glad I could finally ratchet it down enough for you.

Now please, go start your blog or go back back to /new/.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Here is an interesting video regarding the video recording of police.

Police continue to harass citizens who record them | Washington Examiner

It would seem to be the right of anyone to make a video recording in a public place. It would also seem that if police use video recordings to document their interactions that citizens should also be able to do the same.