• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Police, protesters clash in St. Louis

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Police clashed with protesters in St. Louis on Thursday for a second night after an officer killed a black teenager, ahead of a weekend of planned rallies in the area over the August killing of unarmed black teenager Michael Brown.

Police, protesters clash in St. Louis ahead of weekend of rallies
Sounds like things are getting crazy in St. Louis. Yes a cop shot a black teenager but the teenager was shooting at the cop. At least that is what is being said. You never know what to believe. However if the teenager was shooting at the cop the cop had the right to shoot him.

Now protestors are burning flags and someone threw a knife at a cop sticking him in the shoulder. Police cars, businesses and homes have been damaged. This weekend they plan on even a larger protest involving possibly thousands, 6000 have registered. If that many show up for it then you can rest assure more violence will happen, hope someone isn't killed.

Thoughts?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I just want to add this Myers they are protesting this time over was out on bond. He was facing chargers of unlawful use of a weapon and resisting arrest. So the cop may be telling the truth on this one. Someone is claiming Myers only had a sandwich in his hand.

Violence mars 2nd night of protests in St. Louis - CBS News

Sim

Registered Member
My thought is that the wounds of the unfortunate past will still take some time to heal. Only one or two generations ago, African Americans were still legally discriminated and second class citizens.

I don't want to play a blame game here, just saying that it's perhaps just a normal development that takes some time, even when there is no legal discrimination anymore. It's simply still too fresh. Many people on both sides who grew up in times of racial segregation are still alive up to today, both African Americans who had to endure this martyrium, as well as racists who considered that natural and opposed the end of segregation.

There is hope the next generation, or at least the generation thereafter, will no longer continue these old sentiments and achieve a truly colorblind society.

Maybe it's worth looking at the "North vs. South" division? That was 150 years ago, and while some of that still exists, it has become a much less serious matter than it once was, as far as I can tell from the outside.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I just want to add this Myers they are protesting this time over was out on bond. He was facing chargers of unlawful use of a weapon and resisting arrest. So the cop may be telling the truth on this one. Someone is claiming Myers only had a sandwich in his hand. Violence mars 2nd night of protests in St. Louis - CBS News
In most countries a 9 mm Ruger that was fired 3 times isnt legally classified as a sandwich... just saying. And it was a stolen... sandwich? So if that "sandwich" was fired at the police then they had every right to fire back... with their "sandwiches". And yeah I read all about the American Apartheid period but that ended about 60 or 70 years ago. The people Ive seen in those riots arent 60 or 70 yo so they dont have any wounds from apartheid. Tbh if my grandparents were affected by cold war prejudice does that mean I should riot and torch buildings and loot any time the police kill a Russian-American? Would that fix the poroblem? A lot of different people have been discriminated against in the US - Native Americans, the Japanese (especially during the World War), and even the Irish. But nobody ever hears about Japanese or Native American or Russian or Irish riots. Btw theres never been a black riot in Russia... just saying. So yeah if a black grabs a Kalashnikov and starts shooting then my first impression wont be that he was baking a pizza. I mean they found the 9 mm Ruger and they probaly got the fingerprints too so it wont be a difficult case to solve. And they also know that the Ruger was a stolen weapon. That just doesnt sound like somebody having a picnic and it definitely should NOT be causing this! Marchers confront riot police over Missouri shootings, more protests planned - Yahoo News Imo they should just isolate that part of St. Louis and bring on the National Guard... but thats just me. There are legal remedies for alleged misconduct and wrongful death... primitive riots arent included in that list. I mean this is supposed to be a civilized country right? Sorry about the text wall but its not letting me separate it into paragraphs.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's true we ended segregation decades ago however people's attitudes didn't change immediately. So I know even today some people are still very prejudice, people from all races are, probably always will be.

I'm not sure if this is a black against white thing or against cops in general.. Blacks are unfairly treated by black cops too. I was listening to a man on TV talk about this, who happened to be black. He said its cops mentality in general to treat blacks different.

So I'm not going to say blacks have no complaint but if I was the protestors I would forget about Myers. You don't try to kill a cop and not expect to get shot.

I noticed on TV these protests included many whites.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
My thought is that the wounds of the unfortunate past will still take some time to heal. Only one or two generations ago, African Americans were still legally discriminated and second class citizens.

I don't want to play a blame game here, just saying that it's perhaps just a normal development that takes some time, even when there is no legal discrimination anymore. It's simply still too fresh. Many people on both sides who grew up in times of racial segregation are still alive up to today, both African Americans who had to endure this martyrium, as well as racists who considered that natural and opposed the end of segregation.

There is hope the next generation, or at least the generation thereafter, will no longer continue these old sentiments and achieve a truly colorblind society.

Maybe it's worth looking at the "North vs. South" division? That was 150 years ago, and while some of that still exists, it has become a much less serious matter than it once was, as far as I can tell from the outside.
The problem, from my perspective, is there are too many perpetuating the "that's racist" lie and too many buy it. Yes it's an ugly part of our history, but history is littered with people of all races being treated horribly. I also just think we as a country have too much of a victim mentality, we don't subscribe to rugged individualism anymore and we don't take responsibility for our actions, and instead blame our problems on someone else, ie racism.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The US media plays it up as "the evil white police vs the poor black victims".
The Russian media plays it up as "the evil white American police vs the poor black victime". I think we know why "American" was added.

Can someone who committed strong armed robbery be called a victim?
Can someone who shoots at police be called a victim?
I mean we are talking criminals here. So the real questions are...

1. How much force should police be allowed to use when apprehending dangerous criminals?
2. How safe will people be from dangerous criminals if the police arent allowed to use enough force?

Its not a race issue... even if the media wants it to be. Its only about priorities. So how safe will people be from criminals if the police are too restricted?
Im also curious about how many of those protesters have priors. I mean its not impossible that those protesters could only be protesting to save their own arses when they commit crimes.