Police jurisdiction question.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Ok this confused me the other day. I live about 20 miles north of the Maryland state border in Pennsylvania. Well I go down to Maryland a lot for various reasons, bigger mall, more places to eat etc.. Anyway the question I have is when I was driving back into PA on the other side of the interstate I watched as two PA state cops sped across the border into MD, they weren't just poking along either, they were hauling ass, lights on and everything. They weren't chasing anyone. I didn't think of it til later down the road and realized they just crossed the state border. Isn't that a violation of jurisdiction? Does anyone know why they would have done that?

I'm still confused. My guess is there was an accident or something, but I didn't see one coming up the interstate. So who knows? Ideas on this?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
could be there's some sort of interstate agreement between MD & PA to cover the more rural areas? I dunno.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
If they're in hot pursuit of someone, I don't think jurisdiction matters. If the drive has run from the cops, he/she is automatically considered a threat and thus must be handled promptly. It's probably more of a "hey Maryland, we're heading towards you chasing an asshole in fifth gear, we could use some help!" sort of deal.

Think a neighborhood with backyards in close proximity. A guy steals from you and hops the fence to the next yard. Unless the neighbor has a rabid pitbull or minefield, I'd imagine you'd still chase him. Hell, the neighbor might even help.

I think it's the same idea, but who knows.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
If they're in hot pursuit of someone, I don't think jurisdiction matters. If the drive has run from the cops, he/she is automatically considered a threat and thus must be handled promptly. It's probably more of a "hey Maryland, we're heading towards you chasing an asshole in fifth gear, we could use some help!" sort of deal.

Think a neighborhood with backyards in close proximity. A guy steals from you and hops the fence to the next yard. Unless the neighbor has a rabid pitbull or minefield, I'd imagine you'd still chase him. Hell, the neighbor might even help.

I think it's the same idea, but who knows.
Maybe they were chasing a guy and I didn't see it or something. I mean I looked up in time to see the flashing lights, that was about it. Thats probably why I was a little confused about it.

Hoosier_Daddy

Registered Member
I live on the Indiana and Michigan state line. There have been times where a serious accident or crime has occured that the MI state police have come accross the line to assist the Indiana authorities. So, I'd imagine there must be some kind of juridictional cooperation worked out between the two states for certain emergencies.

Hoosier.

Usually it does. Most of the time police jurisdictions have that overlapping policy to a point. But a cop out of his jurisdiction just cannot make a lawful arrest. They can assist and aid in helping, especially in police chases. The cops job is to follow the perp until the officers of that jurisdiction come in to take over. Thats about all there is to it.. I think!

CamelPepper

Registered Member
The states will all extradite criminals anyway. If someone breaks the law (murder, etc) in PA and then flee's to MD, once the MD police catch them, the criminal goes back to PA for prosecution. The officers had permission from the MD statey mateys to cross the border in pursuit.