• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Police handcuff Georgia kindergartner for tantrum

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Police handcuff Georgia kindergartner for tantrum - News-Sentinel.com

In Georgia, Salecia was accused of tearing items off the walls and throwing books and toys in an outburst Friday at Creekside Elementary in Milledgeville, a city of about 18,000, some 90 miles from Atlanta, police said. Authorities said she also threw a small shelf that struck the principal in the leg, and jumped on a paper shredder and tried to break a glass frame.
She was six years old. The Police Department said they handcuff anyone that causes a disturbance, doesn't matter what age they are.

Personally, I think the handcuffs and even the Police Department was a bit to much for this six year-old.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
A lot of people are making a big deal about it. I don't really see what the problem is. Even a 6 year old can be impossible to restrain when she's on a rampage.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is there no strategy in modern education for handling a six-year-old throwing a tantrum?
More interesting to me is that a) the school's own administrators can't handle a tantrum and b) that there's no intermediate step like a school nurse or psychologist before they call the cops.

wooly

I am the woolrus
A lot of people are making a big deal about it. I don't really see what the problem is. Even a 6 year old can be impossible to restrain when she's on a rampage.
a 'rampage'? What did she have a gun? She's 6 years old, having the police come and HANDCUFF her for misbehaving is insane!! She was just having a tantrum. Almost every single child in history has had at least one. It's not a police issue, and i can only imagine how scary the handcuffing must have been for the girl.

I read about this the other day and thought it was disgusting. Another example of the police in America just going completely insane and overboard. But this is just one in a LONG line of examples. Each one of them more insane than the last:

- A 13-year-old middle school student in Albuquerque, New Mexico was handcuffed and hauled off to juvenile detention for “burping audibly” in class: Student arrested for burping, lawsuit claims - CBS News

- 12-year-old Sarah Bustamantes was arrested by police in Austin, Texas for spraying perfume on herself (which she did because other children were bullying her, saying she smelled) The US schools with their own police | World news | The Guardian

- and in a case of ridiculous insanity, police were dispatched to collect an overdue library book from a 5-year-old girl. Charlton Library Sends Police To Collect Overdue Books From 5-Year-Old CBS Boston

Oh and there's not just cases of children being arrested by police, there's also been many cases of actual police brutality against children:

- Police tasered, pepper sprayed, and beat a 17 year old handicapped boy because they mistook his speech impediment for "disrespect" Ohio cops tased mentally handicapped teenager with speech impediment for 'disrespect'

- Police tasered a 10 year old boy at a day care centre in indiana because he was having a tantrum Cops Who Tasered 10-Year-Old Spark Outrage from Mayor and Citizens - Crimesider - CBS News

- and also tasered a 9 year old boy because he wouldn't go to school Mount Sterling Police Department Shut Down; Officer Accused Of Using Taser On 9-Year-Old Boy

Now there's plenty of reports of police brutality against adults in America, with cops just going wild with tasers and pepper spray, which is awful and a huge problem... but there's something SERIOUSLY wrong when it's being used against children. The fact that police are even dispatched and kids are getting arrested for throwing tantrums, burping or spraying perfume is just insane in itself.

It's a huge problem in the American police force, but something that no major public officials seem to be taking a stand against.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
There are plenty of cases where the police "acted stupidly" like the examples you mentioned.
No one really knows what was going on in this case. I'm just saying if a kid is throwing stuff and jumping around like she is demon possessed (which she might actually be) the safest thing for the child and adults present is to handcuff her and get her away.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I mean, it sounds like she was a danger to herself and those around her. She hit the principal and tried to break a glass frame, what would have happened if she succeed? I don't think that schools have much leeway when it comes to physically touching students. So if they tried to hold her down or something, they could get into trouble.

Wooly, you weren't there so how do you know if they didn't try a counselor?

Calling the police was a good move. Not only for her safety, but others. Not to mention this could have put the school in a bad spot if she harmed herself and they did nothing. . . What else could they have done? Try to hold her down and get a law suit? Let her continue and harm herself as well as others?

I don't know if they did try getting the counselor to talk to her, as the article I read this morning didn't mention such, but I hope they did.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
If my kid gets bruised or worse because the school called in the cops, then I'm suing the school district and the police.

The school should be able to handle situation like these without calling the Police Department.

Iris

rainbow 11!
In a perfect world, yes. But this is not a perfect world. Not every person who works in a school will always be able to handle something like this. And what if they ARE trained and none of their approved methods work?

Granted, I would hope that the school exhausted all methods or were too concerned for her safety and then called the cops. I hope it something of a last resort.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
In a perfect world, yes. But this is not a perfect world. Not every person who works in a school will always be able to handle something like this. And what if they ARE trained and none of their approved methods work?

Granted, I would hope that the school exhausted all methods or were too concerned for her safety and then called the cops. I hope it something of a last resort.
I can imagine a small kid freaking out flaying around the principal asking me to restrain her and because I've never dealt with this and have no restraint tools, I grab her arms and accidentally break one of them. It would be very easy to accidentally break the arm of a 6 year old.

wooly

I am the woolrus
This isn't the child's fault. The girl is 6 years old. Even if she really IS such an inherently uncontrollable 'public menace' (which a 6 year old girl just doesn't have the capacity to be) then she's obviously being failed somewhere by the system, and traumatizing her by arresting her doesn't help.

Also, the fact that there's so many other cases of police arresting (and sometimes abusing) children for completely minor incidents (basically for just being children) in America makes it impossible for me to give the school and the police the benefit of the doubt here and assume they tried every reasonable course of action before arresting her as a last resort. Thinking like that is naive and dangerous, because the fact is the track record shows that they don't try everything else beforehand. In fact they do quite the opposite.

If arresting preteen children purely having a tantrum or misbehaving was a normal reaction then:

1. It would have been happening years ago

2. It would happen in countries across the world, not just in America.

And that second point isn't just a discriminatory assumption, i've just been trying to find an example like this outside of America, but i haven't been able to find a single one. All that i did come across was even MORE examples of children being arrested, threatened or mistreated for next to nothing by US police. Some of them i listed earlier, but some of them are even more insane than the ones i had previously heard about. Seriously, they boggle the mind.

#1 At one public school down in Texas, a 12-year-old girl named Sarah Bustamantes was recently arrested for spraying herself with perfume.

#2 A 13-year-old student at a school in Albuquerque, New Mexico was recently arrested by police for burping in class.

#3 Another student down in Albuquerque was forced to strip down to his underwear while five adults watched because he had $200 in his pocket. The student was never formally charged with doing anything wrong.

#4 A security guard at one school in California broke the arm of a 16-year-old girl because she left some crumbs on the floor after cleaning up some cake that she had spilled.

#5 One teenage couple down in Houston poured milk on each other during a squabble while they were breaking up. Instead of being sent to see the principal, they were arrested and sent to court.

#6 In early 2010, a 12-year-old girl at a school in Forest Hills, New York was arrested by police and marched out of her school in handcuffs just because she doodled on her desk. "I love my friends Abby and Faith" was what she reportedly scribbled on her desk.

#7 A 6-year-old girl down in Florida was handcuffed and sent to a mental facility after throwing temper tantrums at her elementary school.

#8 One student down in Texas was reportedly arrested by police for throwing paper airplanes in class.

#9 A 17-year-old honor student in North Carolina named Ashley Smithwick accidentally took her father's lunch with her to school. It contained a small paring knife which he would use to slice up apples. So what happened to this standout student when the school discovered this? The school suspended her for the rest of the year and the police charged her with a misdemeanor.

#10 In Allentown, Pennsylvania a 14-year-old girl was tasered in the groin area by a school security officer even though she had put up her hands in the air to surrender.

#11 Down in Florida, an 11-year-old student was arrested, thrown in jail and charged with a third-degree felony for bringing a plastic butter knife to school.

#12 Back in 2009, an 8-year-old boy in Massachusetts was sent home from school and was forced to undergo a psychological evaluation because he drew a picture of Jesus on the cross.

#13 A police officer in San Mateo, California blasted a 7-year-old special education student in the face with pepper spray because he would not quit climbing on the furniture.

#14 In America today, even 5-year-old children are treated brutally by police. The following is from a recent article that described what happened to one very young student in Stockton, California a while back....

Earlier this year, a Stockton student was handcuffed with zip ties on his hands and feet, forced to go to the hospital for a psychiatric evaluation and was charged with battery on a police officer. That student was 5 years old.

#15 At one school in Connecticut, a 17-year-old boy was thrown to the floor and tasered five times because he was yelling at a cafeteria worker.

#16 A teenager in suburban Dallas was forced to take on a part-time job after being ticketed for using foul language in one high school classroom. The original ticket was for $340, but additional fees have raised the total bill to $637.

#17 A few months ago, police were called out when a little girl kissed a little boy during a physical education class at an elementary school down in Florida.

#18 A 6-year-old boy was recently charged with sexual battery for some "inappropriate touching" during a game of tag at one elementary school in the San Francisco area.

#19 In Massachusetts, police were recently sent out to collect an overdue library book from a 5-year-old girl.

Source: 19 Crazy Things That School Children Are Being Arrested For In America

Reading through some of those, is it really the wisest course of action to just assume the police know best and that arresting a 6 year old girl was a reasonable course of action? or do you think that judging by their track record, maybe people should be a bit more critical of the schools and the police rather than giving them the benefit of the doubt and letting them continue this insane, abusive and flat out wrong behaviour?

Last edited: