Polarizing political discussion

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by SmilinSilhouette, Oct 3, 2010.

1. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Sim wrote: Yet you parrot the most idiotic slurs and talking points

Not to pick on you, buddy! Just using this example as a jumping off point.

I think that both Sim and Cons participate and contribute their fair share of polarizing opinions and posts. I certainly won't deny doing so myself.

I do find it interesting that they complain about it though.

So Sim, I'll ask you what are you talking about? What "idiotic slurs" and "talking points" are you referencing?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
    Sim likes this.

2. Sim

Sim Registered Member

The complaints and ridicule of what "progressives" allegedly do. Broad generalizations, rabid partisanship, bile and hatred, nothing else. I'm not sure if Beck has shown that example in his show already, but it wouldn't take me wonder, because that's what he does all the time (and nothing else).

You said you have convictions and hold dear certain values. Like the Constitution and human rights.

This is not an "us vs. them" problem. Both Republicans and Democrats have been trampling on these values in the past decades. Bush has pissed on the most basic human rights and the flushed them down the toilet, Obama promised change, but except for a few cosmetic changes as a fig leaf, he did nothing substantial to change these policies and expanded even some of them.

You say the problem is systemic. By advancing these partisan myths, you confirm this horrible system and make it stronger.

Unity likes this.
  3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Problem is SS, I don't pick sides. I think Obama is as big an idiot as Palin and just as useful. I think democrats and republicans are far beyond their time and need to disappear. I may have made my share of Beck threads but that's because I truly despise the man not for his political beliefs (I feel like even if I defend this, like in other threads, I'm going to be told otherwise) but because of how mindless he really is. Just like Olberman, O'Reilly, Palin and often Maddow. All the pundits contribute zilch to the political world.

To me, I see the whole of American politics like a big monkey shit fight in the zoo (it's pretty accurate when you think of it) and the pundits are the ones that pick up the poop and wave it around claiming one smells worse than the other when we all know, shit stinks regardless of who is dishing it out.

idisrsly and MAgnum9987 like this.
  4. SmilinSilhouette

I hope both you guys know that I have a great deal of respect for you, your opinions, and the spirited discussions that we have here. I truly enjoy it and also appreciate that neither of you resort to name calling (directed at other contributors) or the other antics that frequently take place in these debates. I hope that you also realize that I only resort to those tactics when they are first used on me. That is why I wasn't too worried about starting this thread as I know that both of you would take it as intended.

I'll reply to your posts when I get back home from grocery shopping.

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I couldn't disagree more. I think all the people you listed contribute a lot to the political world whether I agree with them or not. I don't consider any of them mindless (Maddow and Palin can be kind of close sometimes) they for the most part add some interesting takes on things.

6. Merc

But that's my point, they add "interesting things" which never amounts to more than their opinions. They don't bring about any change, they're just talking heads (and thus, the label of the same name!) that do little more than magnify their audiences' voice and pander to them. People like them are not really about the news, it's more entertainment if you really watch. Politics these days has become like a slow, sloppy dance with these people on the sidelines telling us who is doing it worse.

7. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I think it adds more than just opinions, it extends political discussion, which to me is a good thing. I've used this example before but it's reason I watch Bill Maher. He's not going to change my mind and suddenly become a card carrying member of the ACLU, but his show will make me rethink my position at times....or verify to me that I'm right.

I think mostly anything that adds to the discussion is a good thing.

8. Merc

The last twenty years has been nothing but discussion! Like I said, there's nothing wrong with that but years ago, a political revolutionary was someone that actually does something. Today, we think of pundits as revolutionaries (at least some people seem to) and that's what really pisses me off.

9. SmilinSilhouette

@ Sim: But in that thread I didn't really post an opinion, I asked if the low participation was a reflection of a loss of momentum. I did reply to Pro's post about garbage and tried to make a joke about it. As you know, I don't hold rabid, bile, hatred towards those with whom I disagree. I'm sure that it doesn't surprise you that most of my friends and I disagree politically. But I find it pisses them off (not me) so I usually just bring it here. I'm also pretty sure that you understand my technique of exaggeration and phrasing things in such a way to elicit thread views and responses, although at times that also backfires as well.
    ------
    @ Cons: I realize that you and I share many more opinions than it appears. We just attack the same beast from opposite sides. You poke its right side, I attack the left.

So I'll throw an amusing little challenge your way: if you use democrat examples to illustrate your initial points, then I will temporarily create a funny new silhouette avatar and change my line next to it to give you your due credit. I'll be the judge, but if you feel that you have and I don't change it remind me and I will.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  10. Merc

Huh? Which point are you referring to? I also hardly poke at the left side, I go for both. I'm an equal opportunity hater.