3ds Pokemon Gold/Silver remakes finally announced!

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
I'm not the Pokemon fan I was 10 years ago, but this is an exciting announcement for me, because I loved the second generation games.

They're going to be called Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver

Sources:
Official Japanese Pokemon Site
Yahoo!

Translation thanks to Pokebeach.com:

We learned on the 7th that "Pocket Monsters Gold and Silver," the second entry in the popular RPG series, originally released on the Gameboy system in November of 1999, will be remade for the Nintendo DS this autumn under the titles "HeartGold" and "SoulSilver." New elements will be added in this tenth anniversary return to the Johto Region.

A continuation of the original series (Pocket Monsters Red, Green, Blue, and Pikachu), Gold and Silver recorded remarkable sales of 23,000,000 copies worldwide. It introduced monsters that hadn't appeared in the gameboy games, along with various new features.

Red and Green, the first games of the Pokemon series, were remade for the Gameboy Advance in 2004 as "Fire Red and Leaf Green," making this the second set of remakes. While Red and Green had fantastic upgrades in their transition from Gameboy to Gameboy Advance, this time the games are skipping the Gameboy Advance and going directly from Gameboy to DS. So they will almost certainly have drastically upgraded graphics and sound. Details will be released on the official site shortly.

Currently in development for the Nintendo DS are the newest entries in the Pokemon series: "Pocket Monsters HeartGold and SoulSilver." Taking place in the Johto region, the games will be upgraded with all of the series' current features and will also be paced with brand new features. This year marks the tenth anniversary of "Pocket Monsters Gold and Silver's" release on the original gameboy, so its revival is only fitting. Since its release in 1999, the game has sold over 23,000,000 copies worldwide.
Anybody else excited? What do you want to see them do with this?

I really don't care what they do with it, as long as they don't ruin it!

Last edited:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Wait, the originals were Red and Green? I've got Red and Blue here, what the hell?

Back on topic, I'm actually hoping that they stick to the pokemon that were available back then. But I doubt they will, forcing me to go overboard with the pokemon catching (slight completionist). I might give it a pass and go buy the original instead, but it's too early to make a full decision yet.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Wait, the originals were Red and Green? I've got Red and Blue here, what the hell?
In Japan it was Green. Blue is the American version of Green. (I'm not quite sure why they did it that way, but they did.)

Back on topic, I'm actually hoping that they stick to the pokemon that were available back then. But I doubt they will, forcing me to go overboard with the pokemon catching (slight completionist). I might give it a pass and go buy the original instead, but it's too early to make a full decision yet.
Getting the original won't do much good anymore. Most of the batteries have died. =(

I'm pretty sure that they'll do it like FireRed and LeafGreen and keep the newer generation Pokemon after the main runthrough.

I hope they keep Kanto, and I hope they either put in Hoenn or add an extensive quest afterwards. I'm not a big fan of the third generation, but putting in Hoenn would actually be kind of cool. Not that I expect it, though.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Getting the original won't do much good anymore. Most of the batteries have died. =(
Easy work around, just find a larger capacity battery that will work with the cartridge (such as a CR2032), make sure it has welded tabs, some soldering later and TADA, good as new!

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Well... My Crystal cartridge is still working. (which is great because it's my favorite!)

Anyways, some new information was released today, well not really... but we some new art for the three starters, and one really short video.

YouTube - Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver Gameplay Footage

So it looks like, at least for the beginning, that the starter follows you around, like Pikachu did in Yellow.

Clear_Note

Demon King/Sith Warrior
In Japan it was Green. Blue is the American version of Green. (I'm not quite sure why they did it that way, but they did.)

I'm pretty sure that they'll do it like FireRed and LeafGreen and keep the newer generation Pokemon after the main runthrough.

I hope they keep Kanto, and I hope they either put in Hoenn or add an extensive quest afterwards. I'm not a big fan of the third generation, but putting in Hoenn would actually be kind of cool. Not that I expect it, though.
Actually no. The japanese were red and green. But red was so much more popular than green they said screw green and they released blue to try to balance things out for some reason. We never got green in America.

I hope they finally add something decent that comes after the elite four, because IMO, pokemon basically ends at the elite four. There's nothing seriously interesting left after that.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Actually no. The japanese were red and green. But red was so much more popular than green they said screw green and they released blue to try to balance things out for some reason. We never got green in America.

I hope they finally add something decent that comes after the elite four, because IMO, pokemon basically ends at the elite four. There's nothing seriously interesting left after that.
I can't find any source that says Green was less popular and that's where blue came from.

You have played Gold and Silver, right? Because there is something after the elite four, you play through the entirety of Pokemon Red/Blue (Kanto)! So what did you mean, something after the elite four?

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Wait... Where did I say anything that contradicted any of that?

n3wt

Registered Member
I wasnt into Pokemon when they come out and the cards confussed the hell outta me but my brother in law has just given my son some videos of Pokemon and I have started to get into it lol so im assuming that these were the best games out of the whole games so maybe I'll pick them up for my boy.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
For anybody that's interested, the games are going to be released in both America and Europe in Spring 2010.

They're coming out in Japan really soon.