• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Pokémon GO

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Have you played Pokemon GO yet? Have you seen people running around searching for Pokemons? I haven't played it yet but I am more than a little intrigued.

Never before have kids been able to go play outside AND play video games at the same time. People are actually getting exercise while having fun with this game.

I kind of think it will be a fad that ends within a month or so (like Tamogachi pets), but what do I know. Anyway, what do you think of it? Have you played it, and if so, how far along are you?

Pokémon GO by Niantic, Inc.
https://appsto.re/us/XnIpbb.i

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I haven't played it, I have no desire to play, either. It's not available in Canada yet, but you can get through that. Apparently, it will be available in Canada in a few days. I haven't seen anyone go out to look for Pokemon' yet, but I'm sure I will. I know a bunch of people on here do play it, though.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Australia was the first country to get it and it has taken over our whole country. I play it, so does everyone else it seems, it's intense. I can't walk down the street without passing 20 people playing it.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
yah its pretty big here in Winnipeg. sometimes there's a couple hundred people in one spot in some of the parks. I play ingress, the game niantic made before this and that pokemon go is built off and so all the pokestops and gyms are in the same places as the portals in Ingress, so as its gotten crowded at some of my main portals i use lol. Everyone's like 'oh youre playing pokemon too?' and i'm like 'nope' haha but that's a lie because i totally play, just i also play the other game still

Crypticshock

Registered Member
It's fucking hilarious and no I will not play it, even if I wasn't handicapped. I can't dis it too much because it's doing one thing this world needs a lot more of; people going outside, exercising and becoming more sociable. Better than games that keep them inside...

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Sounds interesting and I'm glad people are enjoying it and getting out of the house, but I don't think it's something I'll be playing.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm giving it a try, it's pretty fun. I'm not going to be going out walking specifically for this game, but I check it when I'm out at different places. There's a woman in my office in her 50s that got into it because of her daughters in their early 20s. I've got a friend at work and his wife in their mid 20s who are trying it as well. It seems to have mass appeal in a lot of ways. I was too old for the Pokemon cartoon when it came out and didn't watch it or play cards or anything like that. However, a good buddy of mine got me into the gameboy game that he had so I do like some aspects of it (Snorlax is my homie). My friends and I kind of had fun with it in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way so I do have fond memories of the subject matter.

I think it would be cool to see this type of game be used by different developers for different types of games. I do like the trend of a game getting kids out of the house.

As far as people wandering into traffic, robberies happening, etc. - I think it's a lot like having a phone to text. Or operating a motor vehicle. There are going to be idiots that are careless about it...you need to treat your phone like you would in any circumstance. I'm not going to pull mine out looking for creatures when I'm in North St. Louis visiting my clients haha.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
So, what's the point of this game exactly?

Just to catch Pokemon? I don't remember much from the game boy game, but can they evolve and whatnot?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So, what's the point of this game exactly?

Just to catch Pokemon? I don't remember much from the game boy game, but can they evolve and whatnot?
Yeah, pretty much. I think you battle people too, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Different landmarks on the map (like my local town hall or a restaurant) can be labeled as stops or gyms with special prizes and stuff I believe.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It reminds me of geocaching (although I haven't done that either). Some of my friends play it. One bar owner said there's a pokemon in his bar, lol. Angry birds, Candy crush....I haven't played those either. But then, it takes me years before I'm convinced to try out some things that everyone seems to have (like FB).‎