Poisonous Apple Seeds?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by gmanlink, Dec 9, 2008.

1. gmanlink

gmanlink Registered Member

I've read in an agenda that apple seeds are poisonous.
    I doubt that they are poisonous considering that I've eating entire apples. (including the core, seeds, and all. Except the stem. )

Are apple seeds really poisonous?
    If they are, what are the negative effects of consuming them?

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Yes they are.

AskMen.com - Poisonous foods

Fruit seeds (Cyanide)
    What are they found in? Apple seeds, cherry stones, and the kernels inside the pits of apricots, nectarines, peaches, and plums.

Why are they poisonous? The American Medical Association (AMA)'s Handbook of Poisonous and Injurious Plants states that eating a large quantity of apple seeds (and other seeds) can be fatal due to the presence of the toxin cyanogenic glycoside, or cyanide. The exact lethal dose is unknown, although swallowing the seeds of a single apple is generally harmless for an adult. Children are more vulnerable: 15 apricot kernels are sufficient to kill them.

What are the symptoms? Excessive sweating, abdominal pain, vomiting, and lethargy. In severe cases, convulsions, incontinence, coma, and even death.

How to avoid them: Avoid eating any fruit seeds or kernels. If you are juicing or baking apples, remove the core first.

3. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Why ain't I dead yet? Seriously.

4. ancredelamour

ancredelamour Registered Member

Now I know how I will kill myself if I ever do.

5. gmanlink

Does this apply to other fruit seeds?
    Such as Pomegranate seeds or even orange/clementine seeds?

6. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I remember eating a whole bunch of cherries without spittin out the stones a while back. Felt fine afterwards. I wouldn't worry yourself tooo much, but its better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Heh, dude, did you even read what I posted?

Avoid eating any fruit seeds or kernels

8. gmanlink

Well Constantine. I've been taught to eat Pomegranates seed and all. Apparently its more filling and delicious that way.
    and have you ever seen a Pomegranate? no offense man.

9. ancredelamour

ancredelamour Registered Member

yeah, there is a lot of seeds in one pomegranate.

10. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

You don't have any choice with Pomegranate do you know? Since all it's made up of is seeds! If you take the seeds out, what do you get? The crust.