• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Pointless posts/off-topic infractions

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'm not sure where to post this, sorry if it's in the wrong place. This is in response to Crouton's posts about heavy-handed modding.

Personally, I think the "pointless post" infractions are silly. Who cares if someone makes a "pointless" post? Even an off-topic post isn't really detrimental to the forum. It's nice when something stays on track, but conversations have a natural tendency sometimes to go off on tangents. If mods feel that a topic is getting too off-track, then make a mod post and get it back on track, or split the topic.

I think these rules are what drives some members away and I wonder if we can ease up on them a bit.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What you said pretty much sums up what I think too. So what if things get a little off topic or someone make a pointless post. As long as they are calling someone names I don't see it as a big deal.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Thread topics drift, that's not an issue. The thing the pointless/offtopic posts rule is for is when people reply with like just enough words to pass the character limit, and all they're saying is 'yah I agree' or 'hahaha that made me laugh'. It's the kind of thing that can be said via rep instead of cluttering the threads.

Iris

rainbow 11!
like I said before. they don't bother me so much. I like how neat and tidy it is. I mean, if there is a thread about superheroes and people segue into comics in general I don't think that should be off topic. but say there is a thread discussing breakfast and you make a face joke and contribute nothing else? Hell yeah that's wrong.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Sure, but is it infraction-worthy? I don't think so. How about just deleting it and sending the person a message to not do that?

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Sure, but is it infraction-worthy? I don't think so. How about just deleting it and sending the person a message to not do that?
One thing to consider is that some people are prone to do it way way more than others. We're also waaaay harder on vets than we are newbs, mostly on the assumption that vets have been warned about pointless posting before and should already know better.

We simply don't want to ever see this outside ST, under any circumstance:

CaptainObvious said:
I agree Castro's death would cause a big stir but people hating communism and his dictatorship and how he mistreated his own people, to the point many have risked being eaten by sharks to swim to the US is "red-fearing". That's nice to know. I don't view him as a neighbor who wants people to just leave him alone, I view him as a neighbor who beats his wife and kids, barely gives them enough to eat, and says leave me alone when confronted about it. It would cause a hell of a stir when he dies, I agree, but while not a baby-boomer, I certainly won't shed a tear for that piece of trash.
megapeen_8==D said:
That said, personally, I do kinda agree a bit; I've got no problem with the idea of loosening things up a little bit on the pointless posting front. I think most of the mods actually don't really think of infractions (especially minor infractions) as a very big deal, but it seems like some folks take them pretty darn seriously. Maybe it's time to come up with a more specific rule on how pointless post infractions are handed out; I know wade would certainly like that.

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
Yeah, that's what warnings are for but I agree on relaxing things a little.

I think it should be PM, warning, infraction. There are some people who don't listen after the PM and deletion, so there definitely needs to be progression.

A lot of the pointless infractions are given for things like smel said that a member has posted just for the sake of posting. A lot of leeway is also given which people don't see...new members get a PM more often then not explaining that a post needs more of an opinion added to help with discussion, members who have come back after a long time away get the same thing.

I know i've argued more than once that just because a post is short, as long as gives an opinion or adds to the thread, then it should be allowed. I see a lot of members complaining because they get infracted for posting "lol, I agree that's so funny" replies and those are the things I think should be cracked down on, not short answers.

Mod posts tend to kill threads so i'm not sure they should be implemented, especially as some people take them as a personal slight. I know there has been feedback complaining about preventative mod posts, yet here is a suggestion for them. I guess you can't keep everyone happy.

Overall though, I agree things need to be lightened up on with pointless posting.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I think it's okay and normal to get a bit off topic. Actually it generates discussion and helps the forum stay alive.
However, I do agree that pointless "lol .. hahah, okay, " stupid posts should be deleted.

I don't remember making susch posts outside ST but once I remember I got infracted for writing just 1 sentence reply. It wasn't a short sentence. It was relatively long but I didn't need to add more than that.

Apparently, that was considered pointless, which to me is slightly over the top.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I don't remember the last time someone got infracted for steering a thread off-topic in a friendly direction, to be honest. Usually the off-topic infraction goes to people who are destroying a thread for the sake of their flame war or personal vendettas, but aren't posting flames strong enough to be word-for-word classified as a direct insult.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
But at the end of the day (I hate that saying, haha) how hard is it to be on topic and not give short, stupid, terrible, responses? Its not...because I've been here since 2007 and never once have I received one and if I did I guarantee you it would be the last one I ever got. I just don't see how tough it is to follow the rules that have been here before I even arrived.

The modding hasn't changed people, it just hasn't.

With that said, I don't have an issue with relaxing rules. As we've already said we're discussing any and all changes.