Point of Life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gmanlink, Apr 10, 2010.

1. gmanlink

gmanlink Registered Member

Alright. I'm not a goth or anything like that, nor do I have any suicidal thoughts or intentions and I never will.

However, over the past few weeks, this question has been aggravating me to no end. What is the point of life?

I've seen based off many cliched movies and songs that "love" makes life worth living. But how do you know the difference between love and like? I always say "I love you" to my family, and I can't remember when I actually meant it, rather I don't think I've ever had. I don't know how to convey any sort of feeling by saying that phrase. (However, I'm cool with my family. I've got no serious problems in terms of relationships.)

Crushes? What defines crushes? The affection of one to another's appearance or personality? How do you know that even if you pursue the girl in the first place that you'll get anywhere? I know that you won't get anywhere simply by doing nothing, but what's the point of doing if you're probably going to get turned off anyways?
    (This argument in this paragraph is flawed, fyi)

Religion. I don't even know where to begin. Half of me believes yet the other doesn't. How can I believe in something that doesn't really prove itself to be real? Miracles? But what defines miracles? Is it an impossible event in a given group of events? For example a regular chicken laying a golden egg. Is it an unlikely event that occurs despite to others' expectation of it occurring otherwise? For example, a patient surviving a cancer removal surgery or Alzheimer's Disease?
    The half that believes just does so without question. Yet the half that reasons with the existence of the institution believes that it's just a way to calm the masses.

I'm so confused as to what is the point of life. The more I ponder upon it, the more I infuriate myself. For the past three years, I've been living with a mask of ambiguity and apathy. My laughs and smiles are fake and forced. If anything, I can hardly show any emotion but frustration.

2. Ember

Ember Registered Member

Hi gmanlink!
    In my opinion there's not a universal point of life, each one of us finds his/her own in only one way: living! Live your life, enjoy it, ask yorself many questions but do not go crazy with finding answers.
    How old are you? You look young. If you are, then I have good news: you're going to feel better soon ;)
    Of course being a deep person is amazing but doesn't help if you want to be happy. Or, it can help if you know how to manage your depth.

Love is much more natural than you think so trying to rationalize it is not so useful. Probably you'll understand alone when you find true love... it's not something one can explain, also because it changes constantly, grows up with you.
    In this moment to me, love is wanting to build something with somebody I appreciate, sharing goals, spending good times with a man I feel I could love forever. Plus of course, "butterflies", attraction etc! This is just the basics though, and it's not "love" but a simple crush that should be fostered or not.

I personally don't believe. Not that my faith is lacking, I grew up like a catholic and I could also believe without seeing but... I just don't. It's stonger than me, I think that if there's a God, no man can even conceive it since we're too human. We're trapped (it's normal) in our conceipts of time and space wich are not God's attributes.

P.S. sorry for my English...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  3. gmanlink

I'm in my late teens, and of course it may be the adolescence kicking in but thinking about reality convinces me in the lack of a point in life.

Even though I've had a few crushes in my life, I'd view it as realistically as possible, thus discover that trying to nurture that attraction to a deeper relationship seems impossible as I'm already too busy doing school work as it is. If somehow I did manage to find time, the relationship would hardly last for more than a couple of months because the girl of interest would be bound to find a more suitable "boyfriend." (By suitable I mean by one with better qualities than I). This isn't pessimism, it's really a fact of life. I can already think of plenty of suitors that could replace me, and this is only thinking of those locally. Essentially, the pursuit of love would be essentially a unrequited love, so there is no point in pursuing it.

Family love is a harder matter to discuss because I simply have no idea how it is supposed to feel or what actions I undertake as a result of family love.

The pursuit of happiness that results from love is no doubt great, but it's not necessarily eternal. There's always a pursuit of happiness, never an everlasting happiness. As a result there's always the need for material or physical gain.
    This is essentially what I believe my life seems to display. Why else would I need to try hard in school, despite caring less about academic achievements? Why else would I search for a great college to apply?

Religion. Yes, basically I agree with you in that. I share the same ideology.
    Believe in religion partly, but abstain from it due to a lack of evidence.

Essentially, there's nothing that attaches me to living, other than supporting others from my achievements. That's not to say that I enjoy doing so, it's just that this is how I've been acting for the past few years.
    It gives my life secondary purpose, but even that's feeble at best.

4. Th3Pr3Tz3l

Th3Pr3Tz3l Registered Member

What makes my life have a point? So many things.

But if you don't have this one "purpose of life" that you need then who cares? If life doesn't have a purpose then what exactly DO you DO? Well, when most people don't have anything to do at the moment, no work to go to no appointments to keep they do what makes them feel good.

And that's what I suggest everyone does with their life.

You don't need a good job, you don't need a person to love (although that would make MOST people feel good including moi) If religion is dragging you down rather than bringing you up (as it should) then you don't need that either.

For me life is all about experiencing as many things as possible and making yourself feel good, and trying to have as few of those "what if" moments left over at the end because I want to explore all the "what if's".

Of course biologically it's "make babies, improve species" and I also believe it's all our duty to benefit humanity is much as we can. So I wold like to find a nice balance between enjoying myself and helping everyone around me :)

Does that make sense? I think it makes sense....

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. gmanlink

Perfectly in fact.

A friend of mine just recently said, "Isn't it just fine to live as best as we can? Do we need a point to want to live? If anything, the point of living is living."

This clears up a lot thoughts. Thanks!

6. hydronicrocker

hydronicrocker Registered Member

<quote>
    Even though I've had a few crushes in my life, I'd view it as realistically as possible, thus discover that trying to nurture that attraction to a deeper relationship seems impossible as I'm already too busy doing school work as it is. If somehow I did manage to find time, the relationship would hardly last for more than a couple of months because the girl of interest would be bound to find a more suitable "boyfriend." (By suitable I mean by one with better qualities than I). This isn't pessimism, it's really a fact of life. I can already think of plenty of suitors that could replace me, and this is only thinking of those locally. Essentially, the pursuit of love would be essentially a unrequited love, so there is no point in pursuing it.
    </quote>

Firstly, I'd just like to say that you all have made some great contributions and I would just like to extend on some of the comments made and share what my understanding on things are.

We are all unique individuals, but there are ideal ways to cope, grow, and progress through our lives, which many of us either don't stick to, ignore/let go or decide that we want to go about it in a different manner. These ways of living can be altered to who you are, you just have to give it a go.

Have you ever heard of the law of attraction? This helps us to get what we want to get out of life, understand our needs, boundaries, values and passions. These are important to us as humans as we have feelings and emotions that we need to be in control of in order to prevent breakdowns, stress and other aggravations such as frustration; the one you say you are feeling.

Emotions and feelings are something that can easily be dismissively understood due to us not completely understanding the true meaning behind an emotion or feeling.

It is important that we are able to determine what it is we feel, because if we don't we can feel unmotivated and quickly loose interest in all around us.
    A few months ago, I found that when someone asked me how I was, how my day was, anything that was to do with my emotions, i wasn't able to express or really say how I felt, because i felt terribly lost in emotion and what it was, and how i was supposed to feel. When i spent time with friends, at the end of the day I didn't feel the way I probably should have been feeling. And if they asked me did you have fun today? Or are you happy? I wouldn't know what to say, but to be nice I would agree or say I was enjoying my time, that I liked them. And it wasn't that I hated people or didn't enjoy their company, it was just the fact that I failed to understand emotion.

So out of personal interest and my seeking for knowledge, I discovered some interesting books. I got some books on the law of attraction and watched the movie "The Secret". The book I read was called "The Secret Laws of Attraction" by Talane Miedaner. This book helped me to understand my needs, which helped me to get more out of my day and allowed me to be positive. My boundaries allowed me to gain some respect so that I felt of importance and so that I felt some self-respect also. It helped me to establish what my qualities and characteristics are, and my values and passions. It then taught me how to orient my life around this knowledge of myself.
    We need to remember: How can we expect people to like us, if we dont like ourselves. We must manifest happiness and self respect for ourselves. And those around us will want to be closer to you because you are able to be stable and sure. And if you discover your passions, which you will through law of attraction, then things will come to you, you will draw them to you without even realizing because you are in control of your mind, its no longer on auto pilot.

If you would like to chat further with me, here's my email
    hotmail: hydronicrocker

Thank you for reading,
    Peace
    =]

7. Ember

Ember Registered Member

I agree with you Th3Pr3Tz3l!

But you, gmanlink, lack in self-esteem! Besides, love is not math, it's not a theorem in a book. Of course, there are some qualities that basicly don't have to be missing in all the relationships (don't look at the pathological ones) respect, dialogue, confidence, esteem etc... but if you're able to guarantee these things to the girl you're in love with, then it's like if you have your weapons, and you can fight. Yes, you can win or not... but this is life! I'm not telling love is a fight, it was only a metaphore :D

Family love is a hard matter for everybody I think.
    I learned growing up, to love some members of my family "as they are, even if". That's all. Nobody is perfect, and not all the people can act as you would want (and you deserve) them to. It's not always easy and this doesn't mean I have to accept everything, but it helps me.

Anyway try enjoy your life as it is... you will find something, tomorrow, in a year, or when you're 30... that makes you say "this is worth living for". It happened to me ;)

8. Gwargedd

Gwargedd Registered Member

I don't know about the point of anyone elses life but the point to my life is to live it. I am a rehab nurse working with people who have been hurt in an accident had a stroke ar some other brain injury. You never know what is round the corner. I live by the motto live for today not tomorrow. I have a wonderful daughter who has only me so I do err on the side of caution at times but if we want to go to the theme parks in QLD we hop a plane and off we go. Okay maybe I am a bit of a gypsy but we love our life. I have a full time job I love and take regular holidays to enjoy my life. Am hardly ever home as we go out on weekends to explore the world.

I guess what I am saying is life is what you make of it. If you live life you will enjoy it. If you hide from life you aree not as they say living it.

9. Adastra

Adastra Registered Member

It isn't 'what is the point to life' but 'what is the point to YOUR life?'
    We all have different reasons to keep surviving. There is no universal answer to this, if that where the case I would think more people would be asking. Instead be content with knowing the answer of why you continute to choose to keep living.

Maybe there is no point for life, maybe it is just serendipity that we exist? Either way I know my own point in life so why worry about others?

10. Kibi

Kibi Babeasaurus Sex

These aren't questions that can be answered easily.

It seems to me that you have come to a crossroads. Perhaps alot of your friends are in relationships or perhaps they seem a lot more steady with what they want from life.

Whatever the reason, it's ok to not know what the point is. I don't think I ever get the point of life but I continue through and smile and laugh all the same. Sometimes there are periods in our lives that may seem confusing or ambiguous but it's up to you to ensure that these times are filled with things you can look back fondly on. Pursue dreams.

To me life is fickle but I like it like that. Take it a day at a time and hopefully happiness and clarification will come to you.

XxX