Pluto no longer a planet, say astronomers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kazmarov, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/08/24/pluto.ap/index.html

Please post your condolences for Pluto.

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

OMG. THis will revolutionize the song I was taught in kindergarten. It'll just stop abruptly at Neptune.[​IMG]

anyway. Even if Pluto was reclassified as a dwaarf planet, I don't think many people will recognize that until many many years later. It may not even be completely accepted in the professional realm of astronmy either.

3. Blur

Blur iPimp

Its amazing how much the solar system has changed since we were taught about it in elementary and middle school...that is just a sign of how fast we are advancing in the field and the technology. Another amazing thing is how fast the internet became such a big part of life. 10 years ago i was in like 3rd grade...i remember the internet was SO different lol

4. smuda

smuda Registered Member

Yeah, as soon as I heard this today I began to whistle and hum the School-Rock song. "there are nine planets in the solar system...mmm...mm.. they say Mars has martians but earth has wierd people too!"

5. IntheNet

IntheNet Guest

Just wait, the ACLU will file a grievance against minority disenfranchisement for Plutoites and Rev. Jesse will be preaching Pluto harrassment and Earth whites keeping the Pluto minorities down... Astronomy Society voting fraud will be strongly alleged and Favored Planet Status will be hotly debated at the U.N. by Koffi et al. By this time next year, Pluto discrimination will be a favored Democrat Platform... already the Party is trying to figure out how to blame Bush... or Lieberman!

6. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

does it really MATTER what a planet is or if Pluto actually is one? What ever research, exploration, colonization, etc. that may happen in the future is not going to suddenly say "we can't use/look at/study this planet/moon/iceball because it's not technically a planet".

7. DeadlyPotato

DeadlyPotato Guest

So the astronomy I was taught was all a lie?

8. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

It never was an planet

And Now the Song About Planets Stops at N

Thats crap..

Anyways..I really dont know why they removed it
    I think the most important Planets and people mention it non-stop are

Earth and Mars
    Non Planets: Sun and Moon

And I dont think that the other planets are important..There is no life in them and NASA never goes there

But I think they should check out if there is anything there

9. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Besides being the future colonialization and terra-forming locations of human civilizations, and ignoring the Pluto Express, Voyagers 1 and 2, the Huygens probe, missions to Venus, that statement is correct. Of course they're important,they're physical evidence to determining the various parts of the universe.

10. Belcher

Belcher Guest

This really is going to mess with my natal chart...