• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 3 Playstation costing $300-400 was false

Rayzn

Registered Member
I was dissapointed to hear this. I am scared at what the price might be. Either way I am going to buy it since it is a new Playstation.

“Correction: An earlier version of this story appeared with statements erroneously attributed to Sir Howard Stringer, CEO of Sony Corporation, regarding pricing and availability of the PS3. Stringer has not commented publicly on how much the PS3 is expected to cost, or how soon it will appear in the US after the Japanese launch in spring 2006.”

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, I knew there was no way it was going to cost "only" $300-400. My guess was $500 and I'm sticking with it. I've heard speculation that it could cost anywhere up to $1,000, but I seriously doubt Sony would go over $500.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
The games alone are going to hold 50 GIGS of information, as oposed to the 8.5 that the DVD's XBOX 360 uses. XBOX made a big mistake to stick with DVD's. Just thinking of how massive RPG's could be on the PS3 makes me want one. Those are my favorite genre on the PS2.

dk_rare

Registered Member
1000 dollars!?! If Sony are that mad, then I will cut my pinky off. I swear it, if the PS3 cost more than 1000 dollars for a unit I will but my pinky off! And sell it on eBay!

yooperchick

Registered Member
If it was $1000, I know they would sell some units because there are hardcore gamers that want this system. But, for them, from a business standpoint, will there really be enough sales? I don't think Sony will sell it for that much.

I am putting my money on $400 - $500 range. I agree with Buckeye, I do not see how it could go over $500.

Unfortunately, I have been wrong before :-o

Rayzn

Registered Member
To sell a console for more then $600 would be suicide. The playstation has some extra features that we don't need. An extra HDMI? Some people don't have one HDTV with HDMI let alone two. I only have one with HDMI and I would never find use of the second port. The 3 ether net connection in the back. I spent my money on a great router and I am going to use it.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well just remember that the 360 is selling for $1,000 plus on eBay right now. Obviously the hardcore people are willing to pay. Personally I think the system is going to be awesome. I'm really looking forward to it, but I hope it's priced reasonably. That's getting up there with the price of a decent PC.

Rayzn

Registered Member
I really don't see it going above $500 Andrew. Like you said $1,000 is the price of a decent computer. Sony might not care too much about the consumer but they are not dumb and they know how to handle this.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
People who pay $1,000 for a 360 are retarded considering you can get one for $400, and there aren't very many people willing to spend that kind of money anyway. A $500 pricetag for PS3 would without a doubt hurt sales, yet still be competitve with Xbox 360. $1,000 would just be a fatal mistake.