Playoffs system?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Which league as the best playoff system?

Personally I believe it's baseball, even though I love seing eight teams in each league make the playoffs like Hockey and Basketball. I still believe it's more competetive in Baseball because only the winners of the division and the fourth best team make the playoffs in each league. It's awesome.

Thoughts?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Of the professional American sports? Definitely the NFL. I hate best of 7 series. Single elimination makes for the most intensity and excitement. I like the MLB Playoffs for only having eight total playoff teams, but that's about the only thing I like about it. The NBA and NHL playoffs are terrible and take forever. Too many teams, most of which are mediocre, and too many games.

I love the World Cup format. 32 of the best countries in the world in group play. Top 16 advancing to knockout rounds. Single elimination.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I dont like single elimination at all. Although exciting, I prefer 7 game series. The best team usually wins and you should reward the team who is more talented IMO. And if there's an upset it makes it that much more exciting.

I might be on board with baseball because only the best teams make the playoffs due to length of schedule and only 8 total teams making the playoffs. Hockey is the most exciting but there are too many clubs making it.

4. Major

The better team should win a single elimination game most of the time, right? Look at the NCAA Tournament. The best teams will usually advance to the Final Four, but there are always big upsets and that's what makes it so exciting. If it's all about rewarding the best teams and making it easier for them to advance, then why even let the mediocre teams into the playoffs like they do in hockey and basketball? 7 game series are boring until one team is facing elimination.

5. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I prefer hockey, over my other favorite sport football. I think the seven game series works better. They could even switch it to best of five and I'd still think it'd be better than the NFL. A single elimination playoff can be screwed up by a bad call, like the Ravens/Titans game this past year. The ref blows a call, you lose, you're out. Where in hockey, a blown call and a lost game means you have to try harder the next night - not effecting the series as much. Beating a team four times almost 100% proves you were the better team.

6. Major

Bad calls will happen and affect a game/series no matter what. Remember the Suns vs Spurs series a couple years ago? The better team should be able to overcome the bad calls.

Why four times? Why not two or three? Why not six? Who's to say that the winner of a 7 game series wouldn't lose if it was an 11 game series?

If you want 100% proof of the best team, why even have playoffs? Just crown the team with the best regular season record like they do in the English Premier League.

7. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I said I wouldn't mind a shorter series, just as long as it stays a series (at least in hockey). I know people think the whole "one and done" thing is really intense and exciting, but I think a series is the more intense and exciting way, especially between two rivals. I would take a game 7 over the super bowl anyday. But I guess the playoff system in football works too.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  8. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

They SHOULD but there's no advantage for the better team when it's one and done. If you play 7 games the better team usually prevails...and shouldn't that be what happens? If they are upset it's that much more important and that much more shocking.

I agree there are too many teams making the playoffs in the NHL and the NBA although it does create an extremely tough playoff run because you have to win so many games.

I guess I just feel cheated in one game playoffs.

9. Major

If they're the better team then why do they need an advantage? They already have home field and the benefit of playing a lower ranked team. Prove to me you can win when it matters. There's no excuse for losing.

10. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

They don't need the advantage, but they deserve it.