PLayoff pool

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I made a Playoff pool with 4 of my friends last night. Tell me what you think about my team. You had to pick 10 forwards, 4 defencemen and 2 goaltenders. I had last pick, and it was a snake draft. Meaning I had last pick in the first round but I had first in the second.

-Maxim Afinogenov(F)
-Joe Thorton(F)
-Henrik Zetterberg(F)
-Patrick Marleau(F)
-Jaromir Jagr(F)
-Daniel Alfredsson(F)
-Jason Pomminville(F)
-Brian Campbell(D)
-Henrik Lundqvist(G)
-Mikael Nylander(F)
-Jerome Iginla(F)
-Wade Redden(D)
-Danius Zubrus(F)
-Henrik Tallinder(D)
-Niklas Backstrom(G)
-Anton Volchenkov(D)

Conference Winners: Buffalo/San Jose
Stanley Cup Winner: Buffalo

Point System:

2 pts for a Goal
1 pt for an Assist
3 pts for a Win
2 pts for a Shotout
4 pts for GWG +1 pt if it happens in Overtime
5 pts for picking confence winners
10 pts for pick Stanley Cup winner

There's a few risk pick I took but hoepfully then can finally perform in the playoffs. Like Wade Redden, Daniel Alfredsson and Joe Thorton. If Buffalo gets upsetted by the Islanders I am pretty much screwed.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
I think your pretty much set. You got your top players IE Jagr , Thornton and Afinogenov and then you have IMO two of the most underrated players in the NHL with Marleau and Zetterberg. Comebine them with guys like Redden , Pominville and Iginla who seem to step up in key situations and I think you have a good chance at winning this thing. Really depends on how far a lot of your teams go , Like if the Sharks get put out by Nashville your screwed but if it was the other way around then your fine. Same with the Pens and Sens. Only area that is a little questionable is the goalies but you still have a couple of solids and it'll be cool to see how far each can go. Good drafting MJ and best of luck to you.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thanks Andrew. But you can't forget that were only 5 players in this pool meaning everyone as a pretty stack team. I tried to pick a lot of players from different teams. So if a team gets eliminated first round it wont cause me too much damage. Except for Buffalo which I have 5 players. But I think there going all the way. I am a little sketchy on my Goaltending aswell. But both goalies are at the top of their games going in the playoffs. They might surprise a few teams. That's why I took chances on both of them. They might break or make my team. Will see what happens. I'll keep you updated.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Buffalo is the obv choice to get some players from because I think it is safe to say that they will go pretty far. Best team all year and to be put out early would be horrible for the team. As well teams that you didn't get a lot of players from like Pittsburgh or Nashville are really on the ball teams. They need to step up if they want to advance and I can only see the Pens moving on if they really play at the top of their game. The Sharks are too damn good for the Preds to overcome IMO. The goalies always step up in the playoffs and with Lundquvist and Backstrom I think you took two dandy goalies. Both know what it takes to move on and they will do whatever it takes to move into the next round and beyond. I think they have not been given much of a chance because of their season but given the chance IMO they can play good. Out of five people my guess would be you taking it all.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thanks for the confidence Andrew. But just to show you how every team are pretty much stack. Here's my brother's team.

Teemu Selanee(F)
Henrik Sedin(F)
Daniel Sedin(F)
Ilya Kovalchuk(F)
Roberto Luongo(G)
Sergei Gonchar(D)
Jordan Stall(F)
Evegeni Malkin(F)
Sami Salo(D)
Chris Chelios(D)
Tomas Holmstrom(F)
Kimo Timmonen(D)
Tomas Vanek(F)
Peter Forsberg(F)
Tomas Vokum

So his team is pretty much stack aswell. So even though I am pretty confident in my team it definitly won't be a walk in the park.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
But I think that if a couple teams are put out IE Nashville , Vancouver early then he has lost a great amount of talent for his team. If you don't have guys like Foresberg among others on that team it does not seem as stacked and I can't see Nashville or Vancouver going so far. No matter who gets put out you still have enough other people to help your team out.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well Luongo proved yesterday that he's one of the best goalies of the league, he helped his team by making saves after saves, he had 68 in total which is a new record. Also the Sedin twins and Naslund had each a goal and an assits, so I believe that they're going to help him a whole lot. But I do agree with Nashville, it will be hard for the Preds to beat the Sharks, but anything can happen in seven games.

andrew_bishop

#1 Spammer of FC
Especially since the Cheech is gone now. I still have not herd how long it will take him to get healed but hopefully it won't take too long. But even with him gone the Preds will need to step up and really take their game to new heights or they will be out faster then you think. So many teams have crumbled up right when the playoffs start maybe Nashville will be the next one or maybe they will be the next underdog. I mean not many people pick them to go all the way. It could happen but they need to overcome one of the best pure teams in the NHL today and thats the Sharks.