Playing Devil's Advocate

So you think you can play devil's advocate?

• Total voters

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Can you play devil's advocate? Are you able to take a position you disagree with for the sake of argument?

Before you say, "of course!" I ask you to imagine one debate topic you are passionate about (ex: if you're pro2a, the topic is about allowing people to own/carry guns).

Now, imagine taking a position of someone disagreeing with you. What would be your best argument? Was it easy for you to do it or do you find yourself arguing against it already as you make a counter position? :lol:

I think this type of practice is healthy. Some people are just unwilling to see the others' side, even if just hypothetically. I believe that our own arguments become stronger when we are able to imagine and appreciate the arguments against it.

Thoughts?

Hiei

The Hierophant
I believe that our own arguments become stronger when we are able to imagine and appreciate the arguments against it.
My thoughts exactly. I play devils advocate with myself all the time. Helps you think ahead and figure out what curve balls people might throw at you.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I like to play devil's advocate on other peoples topics. Not my own... But in general situations I have to figure out, I do it all the time to make sure I am making a good choice.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
yup I do, in fact I did it last night to spice things up in the carry on campus' thread.

I look at it like this; if you truly own your topic you can debate both sides. For a person to better understand everything they need to know about their topic they should understand both the pro and anti sides..

A funny concept I like to tickle is that if we took Pro2A and Bananas and stuck them in a debate with a twist.....Pro for Anti-guns and Bananas for Pro-guns; it would be one helluva good debate if the 2 took it serious. Because both have seen the best the other side has to offer and they know how to make those opposing arguments even more solid.

All in all I love a good debate, problem is they are hard to come by especially on the internet. I once had a philosophy instructor that laid it out to me like this: A debate is the battle of the minds where in the end, both parties leave the grounds more intelligent. An argument is nothing more than a battle of egos and nothing can be learned from one aside from the individuals weaknesses.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
yup I do, in fact I did it last night to spice things up in the carry on campus' thread.

I look at it like this; if you truly own your topic you can debate both sides. For a person to better understand everything they need to know about their topic they should understand both the pro and anti sides..

A funny concept I like to tickle is that if we took Pro2A and Bananas and stuck them in a debate with a twist.....Pro for Anti-guns and Bananas for Pro-guns; it would be one helluva good debate if the 2 took it serious. Because both have seen the best the other side has to offer and they know how to make those opposing arguments even more solid.

All in all I love a good debate, problem is they are hard to come by especially on the internet. I once had a philosophy instructor that laid it out to me like this: A debate is the battle of the minds where in the end, both parties leave the grounds more intelligent. An argument is nothing more than a battle of egos and nothing can be learned from one aside from the individuals weaknesses.
Actually, I made this thread right after reading your post. :lol:

Initially, I thought of making a Devil's Advocate test thread where all of us will provide 'reverse arguments' for one of our pet issues. But I didn't know how many practice this and how much response that thread would have. I like your pro2a/bananas flip debate, btw.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I am so glad I read through this post before replying:nod: I like to think that I could play a good devils advocate.....but then....

.....my argument just crumbled.....probably being European and especially from the UK, there is very little argument to advocate guns...Im fascinated in Pro2a passion even if it does go against everything I believe, it is quite ignorant of me, its just the whole concept of US gun legislation baffles me.

I don't think I could put on his shoes, maybe if I lived on the opposite side of the pond for a while I may get to know the devil better, but if you dont know the devil you cant play his role.

So my answer is; No I cant play devils advocate, I can consider and contemplate and analyse all sectors of a debate but I could not argue against my view with any real conviction.
------
I like your pro2a/bananas flip debate, btw.
I dont:shake: its a terrible idea. Please don't touch my scruples:-o

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Oh, yeah. I love using my logic/argumentative skills to show people that there are many sides to everything. Sometimes I'll even do it for subjects that I don't even agree with.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I probably don't play Devil's Advocate with myself as much as I should. I do, however, play Devil's Advocate for arguments I think are weak in general, regardless of whether or not I agree with them.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think a lot of people think they can do it where most people cannot. It's very hard to turn off your own opinions and voices nagging at you and argue a side you may not believe in. I think I can do it pretty well as I've been able to quell my inner yelling on several occasions.