• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Playing as a female character

viLky

ykLiv
Do you do it? Or, do you tend to stick to the male gender?

I ask because I sometimes see people get all huffy when they find out a female character is actually a male. Now, I'm not talking about "pretending" to be a female also, just actually enjoying playing due to abilities, better looking or just for your own preference. Do you do it?

My answer:

lol - of course I do! Now, many things:

1) Currently, I'm playing as a female Drakkin Magician on EverQuest. This is purely cosmetic due to the male counterpart being really hurtful to the eyes. At least for me they are. I love how the females look, and they remind me of Edna (or Edea) from Final Fantasy 8. Doesn't she sort of look like her? =)

2) I have pretended to be a female in a female character before. Why? Well, face it, real life males (not all, of course) are somewhat... attracted? to these female in-game characters. Maybe they are lonely in real life and some how think that this "female" is showing him attention and affection? I dunno, my point is I was doing it because females DO receive different treatment then males do. I've gotten a lot of free items because I pretended to be a female and all it cost me was... my dignity and self respect. HEY, that's not good at all... Ah well, I don't do it anymore, I let the people know I'm a male in real life if it's ever brought up. This "pretending" was way back a decade ago (dang, time flies).

So, yeah, that's what I think and feel about playing as a female character. =P

Last edited:

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
I take you mean just in MMO's... i don't play them. But as for games in general i do use female characters a lot in fact.

Perhaps the most obvious case for me is Metal gear online, where many players have both a male dummy and a female one, its funny and it brings vareity to the match...

In fighting games females are usually faster and more agile, so i take advantage of that as well.

Last edited:

Gevok

Registered Member
I personally like being females in action games, I think their easier to control and they have more agility than males.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
If we're going by what you can do as the opposite sex in terms of action sequences, then yes. However, I've decided not to try and roleplay as a woman because...well, you need to be rather good at roleplaying at pulling it off right. And personally? I'm shit at it.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I play as both, equally, I guess, depending on the game.

For example; on Fallout 3, I have only played as a male. But on Guitar Hero, my entire band is female. Fable 2, again - my character is female.

I guess it really depends on the game. Plus, some games, the female looks ten times better than the male. F'rinstance, on GH. The males look all bulky and stupid, but the females look just fine. :dunno:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I think I may be the only person here who doesn't care about the looks of characters when deciding what to play as.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
If it's a game where the gender has no bearing on stats then that's the whole point, appearance. :dunno:

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
In that case, a coin toss or einy-meiny-miny-mo for me. I'm just as likely to play the ugly-ass bloke as I am the woman wearing enough armour for it to be entirely useless.

dDave

V.I.P.
I tend to stick to male characters in ever game that I play whenever possible.

And if we're not only talking about mmo stuff then yeah I play as Peach in Mario kart 64, and Samus in Metroid games.

I only play as a female character if I have some reason to believe that a female character is better or if the game forces you to (obviously).

I like sticking to male characters, probably cause I'm a guy.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I rarely choose to play as a female when given the option, unless it's a fighting game or something. The main characters in Perfect Dark and Metroid are female, but obviously there's no choice there. I actually didn't like having a female main character in PD.