• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Players that you hated, but now like

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is there any players in any professional sports that you once hated but came around to like them?

For me there's two players that come to mind right away.

Ichiro Suziki and Pedro Martinez.

I used to hate both of these guys with a passion, but I came around to respect them since they're/were so dominant. I think the reason why I couldn't stand them is because the remarkable success they were having. I know it's a stupid reason, but it was part of it.

How about you guys?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I would have to say Kobe Bryant. I never liked the guy until a couple of years ago. I guess over time I came to appreciate him as a competitor and how clutch he can be. I grew to respect him as an athlete.

Dabs

Registered Member
Yeah, Kobe Bryant would be one choice for me as well. I didn't like his cocky ass attitude, but it grew on me. And I didn't like Dennis Rodman when he first appeared years ago in basketball, but I got to where I liked watching him.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I didn't like Brett Hull when he played for Dallas, and I was pretty upset when Detroit signed him. Then when he agreed to give up #16 and wear #17 because 16 was Konstantinov's number, I decided he was ok, then I fell in love with him once that season started.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Lance Berkman and Ryan Theriot. I guess that's cheating because they were on rival teams and now are on the Cardinals and I love them. I'm trying to think. I still hate Kobe because he was a rapist before and that's never changed.

There has to be others. I guess I don't mind Derek Jeter as much anymore. For a 10 year period I hated him, Zambrano and Bonds more then anybody else.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Lance Berkman and Ryan Theriot. I guess that's cheating because they were on rival teams and now are on the Cardinals and I love them. I'm trying to think. I still hate Kobe because he was a rapist before and that's never changed.

There has to be others. I guess I don't mind Derek Jeter as much anymore. For a 10 year period I hated him, Zambrano and Bonds more then anybody else.
I agree with that about Kobe which is why I kept to saying I respected him as a player and kept away from him personally.

I can understand about rival teams, I pretty much cannot stand anyone who plays for the Eagles, but I came to respect Donovan McNabb over time.

I don't mind Jeter as much anymore either. I still hate all the Yankees, but Jeter not as much as I used to.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it's really hard to hate Jeter. The reason I say that is because he plays the game the right way, and he's a class act person. Yes, some people have overrated him through out his career but he's still a good player.

I can understand the hate on Kobe, and the respect he's garned over the years. A lot of people believe he's an arogant prick, but he's really toned it down the last few years and let his game do the talking.

BigBob

Registered Member
Once I hate a player, usually I hate that player for life. Or if we don't go as far as hate and just say I don't like a player, usually that doesn't change either.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
This thread is perfect for me, lol.

"Lance Berkman is a douche" used to be something you'd hear me saying every the Cardinals played the Astros for quite a while. I seemed to always see the worst side of him if arguing a play during a game, etc.

When I heard the Cards had picked him up this season, I wasn't exactly thrilled...I know he's a good player, I thought, but I'm just not cool with his attitude.

Then I start hearing stories about how he's a classy and nice dude...I totally came around during preseason and realized he really seemed to be a nice guy all along. He's been great for the Cardinals franchise both on the field and in the clubhouse, so far.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Like many others, I hated Kobe for a long time, especially after the whole rape thing. I don't really like him now, but I definitely have a lot more respect for him as a player than I used to.

The other one is Joakim Noah. I could absolutely not stand the guy when he was at Florida. A lot of that is because I hated Florida, but also his goofy looks combined with his screaming and fist pumping on the court just irked the hell out of me. I was really pissed off when the Bulls drafted him. I thought he was overrated. But I've grown to love his hustle, effort, and intensity, and he's a really great guy. He's one of those players that fans of other teams will hate, but he's become one of my favorite players.