Players not happy with World Cup ball

Discussion in 'Football / Soccer' started by Major, May 30, 2010.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

2010 World Cup: Ball design for World Cup draws criticism from position players, goalkeepers - ESPN Soccernet

Seems like this comes up every single major event, whether it's the World Cup or Euro or whatever. This time it's getting more heat than usual though, not just from goalies. I kind of side with the players on this. I don't see why they always need to introduce some crazy new ball for the world's biggest event. Obviously it's a marketing thing for Adidas, but it's kind of ridiculous. There should just be a standard ball.

2. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

What does the colour and the look of ball got to do anything? Their job is to score a goal with it, not admire the ball.

3. Major

Did you read the article? It has nothing to do with how the ball looks. It has a different feel and moves differently than they're used to.

4. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

They said it feels like a supermarket ball, which is usually cheap plastic and doesn't bounce well and the weight is different too.

I can understand the problem; they're professionals and should get professional equipment, if it looks cheap and tacky then chances are it IS.

5. Major

Well more than just feeling cheap, I think it's crap to give players something drastically different than what they're used to right before the biggest tournament in the world. Think of it as forcing professional golfers to use new clubs and a different ball rright before the Masters or something.

The NBA came out with a new ball a few years back, and the players had similar complaints, that the ball felt really cheap. The NBA listened to the complaints and went back to the old ball. FIFA should do the same here.

6. Pugz

Yeah they should, there's no reason to change the ball anyway.

7. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree with Echoes 100% on this one. It's stupid to want to change the very object the game is played with - and before the biggest event in 4 years? Come on. Can FIFA really be that spiteful?

I really do hope they listen to the player's complaints and go back to the old ball! The ball that has been used for centuries!!

8. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

Does anyone have news on what the final outcome of this saga is? Have they changed the balls back to the ones the players know?

9. Major

Adidas came out and defended the ball a couple days ago. They're not going to change the ball back.

10. Pugz

WTF? Adidas suck! This decision may effect their franchise as a whole if they don't pay attention to what the players want.