Players changing teams

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Major, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

A couple questions...

1. One of your most hated players is traded to or signs with your favorite team. How do you react? Do you suddenly start liking and cheering for that player?

2. Your favorite player on your favorite team demands to be traded or leaves the team for more money. Does your opinion of that player change, or do you still cheer for him despite the fact that he betrayed your team?

2. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Wow, this is a tough one. I like this topic.

I use to dislike Kerry Collins for years, thought he was nothing but a drunk and a racist and then my team goes out and signs him. At first, I was annoyed but was just glad he'd be riding pine. Then when he outplayed Vince Young and started racking up wins, I got off his back a little and now I don't mind the guy. I'm actually hoping he plays well and keeps Young from taking any snaps this year.

But I think it'd be totally different, if say, Peyton Manning came to the Titans - I absolutely hate that guy and wish for him to tumble down the stairs and break both of his legs. I don't know if I could stomach that. I also hate Roethlisberger as well, thankfully they are both starters for their teams and aren't going anywhere any time soon.

I'm just glad I haven't had to deal with that in hockey - every player that has come over hasn't bothered me in the least, actually, a few of them turned into some of my favorite Sharks while they are/were on the team

3. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

1.) No. I still hate that player. Tom Brady could sign with the Bengals today, and I would try my damndest to go to as many games as possible and bring a sign that said "GTFO Brady." If I hate a certain player, an outfit change isn't going to change anything.

2.) Yes. I have no respect for players that are only in it for the money. I used to love Chad Johnson and T.J. but now they can both fuck off for all I care. It's one of the reasons I prefer college sports to pro sports. In college, there is a far bigger sense of loyalty and appreciation for your team. In the pros that only lasts for as long as your check is bigger than other peoples.

Major likes this.
  4. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

Ahhh most likely I'll start liking them and rooting for them. Hopefully the reason I hate them is because they are on a rival team and I learnt to hate them but do respect them. If I hate them because of personal issues that might make it harder. But hell, if they are contributing to help my team win I dont really care that much.

I think there would definitley be some ill will towards them. Like seeing Jim Edmonds do so well for the Cubs made me sick to my stomach. I think that if I learnt to love them over a period of time I would still root for them on occasion but maybe not as much so as before.

5. Major

It depends on why I hate him. If the only reason I hate him is because he's a great player on a rival team, then I would be happy to have him on my team and I would cheer for him. But if it's a guy who's always complaining, getting into trouble off the field, has a big ego, etc, then I wouldn't want him on my team, even if he helps win games.

When a player shows that he has no loyalty to his team, then my loyalty to that player is gone.

6. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

If it's someone who isn't going to cause problems and produce, then I'm all for it. If we'd have traded for Brett Favre and got him, I'd been all for it.

If they leave demanding more money, or demand to be traded or just leave in the free agency even, I may lose respect for them. Such as this past off season when Matt Birk left, I feel like he let the Vikings down.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The first question is very tough to answer, it depends if I hate him because he's so good, or I hate him because he sucks, he's a bum, and I cannot stand the sight of him. If I hate him because he's so good then I'll probably start liking him, if its because he suck$ and he's a bum, then I'll still hate him.

I will still like the player if he demands a trade. I'll use Vince Carter he was my favorite player in Toronto, and he's still my favorite player after he demanded a trade from the Raptors.

8. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm pretty bad about this actually. My biggest problem is I dont feel I have a huge loyalty to just one team. The town I live in doesnt have any Pro sports, hell hardly even any minor-pro sports anymore. So the funny thing is I've just sorta gone about my favorite teams on a whim.

When I first started liking the Maple Leafs I liked them because of all the blue :hah: yes I know pathetic reason. But I stuck with them for quite some 'time until they added a few players I absolutely hated. Eric Lindros for example, hate the guy. That was sorta my final straw and so I just gave up on them and moved my loyalties elsewhere. Fortunately I hate to be called a bandwagon fan so right about that time the Blue Jackets had just started up. I've been following them ever since and cant say they've ever picked up any players I've hated.

If they did I'd probably lose some interest in them as a whole to and just move on to my second favorite team, the Sharks.

much as its already been said, if a player is demanding and leaving for money..... I'm going to lose all my respect for that player. But the funny thing is I have a bunch of favorite players all over the league and I probably wouldnt feel as bad if my team offered the money being demanded and they signed over.... hell I'd probably be ecstatic. Sorta hypocritical if you look at it that way.

9. Major

I'm kind of the same way with pro teams. I live in Chicago and I'll cheer for the teams, but I don't really feel any connection to them. I cheer for random teams depending on their players. In football I like the teams that have former Ohio State players. I loved the Titans when they had Eddie George. That said, I never root for a Chicago team to lose, even when they're playing one of the other teams I like.

So true. I never really thought of it like that. But yeah, that's one of the reasons I like college sports more. Unless the players transfer they'll be playing for the same school throughout their college career. There's so much more loyalty and team pride than in the pros.

10. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

I've never known my local team to sign someone from a rival team and there would be a huge uproar if we signed someone from Bradford or Leeds; we'd probably end up taunting them so much they'd leave again anyway XD

I used to love Chris Brandon but he moved over to Bradford (a division below WTF?) and now everyone hates him, including myself; he played really well for us and as far as we know he got along well with everyone, he had his moments on the pitch but started on the first team most of the time so i couldn't understand why he left for a lower division team :/