• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games Play Oregon Trail, Other MS-DOS Classics Online For Free

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Are you tired of the latest and greatest in videogame technology? Do you miss the days when you could die of dysentery via a mere text message in Oregon Trail? Well, you're in luck. The Internet Archive (archive.org), which famously archives websites dating back to the early days of the Internet has added over 2,300 playable MS-DOS games from the 80's and 90's to their archive. Among the games are classics "Oregon Trail", "SimCity", and "Donkey Kong".

While it's hard to imagine many of these archived games will be well-received by millennial gamers, if you were born in the 80's or early 90's, chances are you've played at least some of these games. They wouldn't pass for smart phone apps today, but back in the day, these were all the rage.

Go ahead and try your hand at a few classics below and see if you've still got it:

[h3]The Oregon Trail[/h3]
Travel with your friends and family (in name only) to the great state of Oregon. Plan accordingly though, there's plenty of trouble along the way.

[oregon_trail]
[subtext]Via MECC[/subtext]

[h3]Donkey Kong[/h3]
Race to the top of the scaffolding and rescue the princess. Remember that Donkey Kong is not one of the good guys in this game. Watch out for barrels.

[donkey_kong]
[subtext]Via Nintendo Co. Ltd[/subtext]

[h3]Prince Of Persia[/h3]
Solve puzzles in this quintessential platformer that is widely harolded for pioneering the puzzle genre.

[prince_of_persia]
[subtext]Via Bro/derbund Software, Inc.[/subtext]

[h3]SimCity[/h3]
Do you have what it takes to plan and run a metropolis? Be warned, this isn't a completely realistic game. An actual Godzilla style monster will come and wreak havoc from time to time.

[simcity]
[subtext]Via Maxis Software Inc.[/subtext]

[h3]SimAnt - The Electronic Ant Colony[/h3]
Before there was Ant Man, there was ants. See how you'd fair as a humble worker ant by digging tunnels, scavenging for food, and helping keep larvae alive. Make sure to watch out for the red ants though. They're mean.

[simant]
[subtext]Via Maxis Software Inc.[/subtext]

You can also check out archive.org's complete MS-DOS arcade archive here: https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games/v2

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
I may actually need to look into this. I've played quite a few old computer games. Sim City Classic was one of my favorites, I haven't played it in years.

Oregon Trail was another good one. The only problem is that the rivers were impossible to traverse. :lol:

Konshentz

Konshentz
I just played The Oregon Trail for the first time in like 20 years. I remember playing that back in elementary school. I was surprised I beat it my first go. Although I was the only one of the party to survive. Haha.

dDave

V.I.P.
The Sim City is actually a bit disappointing. It's similar to the game I knew as a kid but it's definitely not the same thing. It's different enough that I wouldn't be comfortable playing it. Maybe they have a different version of Sim City available that I can find online.

This is the game that I know and love...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2SIBUYDbk