Planning Your Own Funeral

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wooly, Jun 9, 2010.

1. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

If you had the chance to plan your funeral before you passed on, how would you plan it? Is there anything you would insist on including/having take place at the funeral? particular location etc?

I ask cus i've always said that i'm gonna have the most kick ass funeral ever, and i just started writing down some plans for it last night! (not that i expect to die anytime soon, i just thought it'd be fun!)

Personally i want my funeral to be a huge celebration rather than a morbid ceremony. It's gonna be held a private location in the religion of Excelsior (a joke religion me and my friends made up and have 'converted' loads of people to!). There's gonna be lights, dry ice, lasers and pyrotechnics. There'll be rockin party tunes played instead of hymns. There'll also be dancing and drinking DURING the ceremony and hardly any black will be worn!

That's definitely the way i'd like to go. I'm a firm believer that funerals should be about celebrating the life of a person rather than mourning the death and i'd want everyone to have fun after i go. I guess i want to put the FUN in Funeral! :p

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I'd love to plan my own funeral and be there for it. I want a funeral much like Morrie from Tuesdays with Morrie. I want my whole family and everyone I loved to deliver their eulogy while I'm still alive. What's the point of saying such good things about me if I'm not around to hear them?

3. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I dont want to plan my own funeral. Ive let it be known what I would like to happen to me but that is as far as it goes. I feel the organising is an important part of the grieving process, those closest fulfilling my final wishes as they see fit on behalf of me, even if those wishes were never shared it is about soul searching to really know the other person and reflect it in ceremony, I don't feel it is my place to decide.

If anyone knows me well they would also know I would want a simple affair in a peaceful setting where there is an opportunity for everyone to feel at ease and reflect on life in general. No big party for me thanks.

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

It's common here for people to plan their own funeral, they choose their own songs that they want to play, they decide the casket, they decide the hall and church. Pretty much they choose whatever they want, it's all in their will.

I'm surprised some of you can't do it.

5. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

I've never seen Tuesdays with Morrie, but that's an interesting concept! I'd love to be at my own funeral so i can ensure everyone has a good time and join in on the fun, but at the same time i don't want to know WHEN i'm going to die. I'd rather go suddenly. Live life right up until the end. So it's a double edged sword that one.

Either way i'd like my celebratory ceremony to be carried out after my death aswell. I like the idea of making jokes and making people happy from beyond the grave :p

The worst funeral i've seen was on the internet, i saw pictures from it. It was in the guy's wishes that he wanted to be standing up in the corner of his funeral, like a stuffed animal. I know the family would have been happy to carry out his wishes, but i couldn't help but find that creepy!

6. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I'd like one of those funerals like the vikings (I think) used to do. Where they put you on a canoe, lit it on fire and pushed it out onto the water. I'm 100% sure that won't happen though. I really don't know if I want to be buried or cremated. If I was to be buried, i'd want it to be in one of those eco friendly, bio degradable coffins. As i'm not a believer, I don't want a minister to stand up there and read passages from the bible, and no hymns sung. After all the formalities...i'd expect a huge party where everyone has a good time.

wooly likes this.
  7. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Surely everyone can plan their own funeral. Though i guess there are restrictions within religion maybe? You'd probably have to stick by certain rituals/routines if you wanted a catholic funeral for example. For a non religious funeral i assume you can do whatever you want, as long as you have permission for the premises etc.

All i know is there won't be much left for inheritence after my funeral is paid for :p

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm not sure, but don't you want to make your will when your young instead of waiting till your near death(lets pretend you die of old age) everything is paid in advance when you make your will. So I wouldn't suggest you to spend all your money on your funeral.

Sorry, not trying to burst your bubble or ruin your dream here :lol:

9. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

haha touche! i guess i'll just leave it be known for now so if anything happens to me, hopefully people will just love me enough to carry out my wishes and just foot the bill! :p

(it probably won't be too fancy anyways. it'll most likely have the atmosphere of a pub karaoke contest :p)

10. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I wouldn't mind planning my own funeral. If I knew ahead of time that I was going to die, I'd send out invitations and such. I'd make it mandatory to wear a bright orange Hawaiian shirt and khaki shorts. Khaki skirts for the gals and bright orange tank tops. It'll be a beach party funeral. Bury me with sand please.